Skip to main content
Topic: 20181008 lxqt livecd installer failed to install on my computer after 5 tries (Read 2943 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 20181008 lxqt livecd installer failed to install on my computer after 5 tries

Reply #15
Is there some inherent difference between arti, debian, and fedora in terms of harddrive partition tables and mappings? I recall that I was able to install fedora and some debian derivatives on the Toshiba satellite.

I have heard that Toshiba satellite laptop series doesn't like Linux, but I am hoping to get artix working on there somehow.

Sounds like GRUB is just wrong for whatever reason.  The Artix booable ISO will let you point GRUB at an OS installed on a harddrive.  Checkout the boot menu - it's there. 

So I just pop in the bootable, and then choose to boot off local harddrive?

Re: 20181008 lxqt livecd installer failed to install on my computer after 5 tries

Reply #16
Before rebooting after install, check that the partitions have proper flags.
Wow, how could I have missed this line? This is the key step that finally allowed me to run Artix successfully on my Toshiba laptop.

I got it to work after I set my main partition to boot flag and it works, but I thought it should have read things from the master boot records for the grub stuff.

I just tried the installation process again, this time, doing the partitions manually, I set the root partition with root flag, and then I restarted, and I didn't get anything at all. I had to change the flag to boot flag to get into Artix.

It also appears my laptop is too old to support gpt table

First error on startup since successful install:
Unable to find a systemtray on this machine. The program may still be used to manage your connections, but the tray icon will be disabled
But why? I do have a systemtray running... I got this error from the latest openrc lxqt iso, but I did not get this error when I went with the runit lxqt iso.