Skip to main content
Topic: How to boot straight into command line (tty1) (Read 2791 times) previous topic - next topic

How to boot straight into command line (tty1)

Hey.

There is newest Artix Linux installed lxqt iso from 02.2019 as well as other arch based distribution. There is only need to use artix for downloading stuff to another /root partition that doesn't use internet, basically chroot into it and then download packages. Since the Arch Linux repositories are full of nice things and interesting stuff, there is also no need for me to use graphical user interface on Artix at all.
Basically what there is desire for is to use another offline distribution for things like open-source games, perhaps coding, linuxing, keeping it fresh and other kind of stuff that are being slowly discovered basically to stay away from internet.

Since getting into log in and then password takes some time, booting into just terminal would be quicker for chrooting and installing packages on the offline distribution. There is something like startx on arch linux, it's when it opens Desktop Environment/Dekstop manager.
How to achieve the same on freshly installed Artix 02.2019 without deleting lxqt for example and be able to boot straight into tty1 console instead of log in box and then you know passwords and waiting for load etc ;) so instead of dealing with desktop environment i can get straight into writing commands and perhaps learn new things... Then startx if i ever feel like opening any gui packages.

Thanks

edit: i know i could just get hold of minimal iso and install Artix from terminal however the wireless adapter in the laptop doesn't like Linux, it's some Atheros QCA9377 or something like this that needs non-free ath10k drivers. Making it connect to internet is very frustrating, even dhcpcd and wpa_supplicant fails...

Re: How to boot straight into command line (tty1)

Reply #1
Booting straight to tty? That's easy. Just uninstall your display manager (probably sddm). You can just use startx to start xorg from cli normally. You'll probably need to make an .xinitrc file in your user's directory (to tell startx what WM/DE to use).

Reply #2
Booting straight to tty? That's easy. Just uninstall your display manager (probably sddm). You can just use startx to start xorg from cli normally. You'll probably need to make an .xinitrc file in your user's directory (to tell startx what WM/DE to use).

Yeah i suppose it is very easy :P. Ok, thanks for super fast reply.
If i achieve this i am gonna install Elinks and see if i can use it to log in into this forum and post here.

Thank you!!@

Reply #3
if you get an insufficient privileges error install
# pacman -S world/xorg-xwrapper

Reply #5
I
if you get an insufficient privileges error install
# pacman -S world/xorg-xwrapper

I have installed Obarun xfce as second partition however there was network manager on it but couldn't get hold of internet so i chrooted to it on artix and downloaded connman but it was gave the same result. On disk i have got firmware for ath10k however they report error and says it requiries certain kernel or something, that is 4.19... I tried to install Arch Linux however it has problems to appear on grub so there is only Artix and Obarun now.

Will running desktop environment via xstart have different impact on the laptop battery?? Or it's gonna be the same?? Right now it's weird because when i had tlp installed battery was only available for like 2 hours 20 minutes right now i can watch movies for almost 4 hours and it seems like battery in this laptop regenerates lost power cuz it runs for longer, it's great. I don't use proprietary nvidia drivers and laptop doesn't have proplems with overheating anymore :) :P . Thanks for amazing experience.

Reply #6

startx doesn't work out of the box.

Reply #7

startx doesn't work out of the box.
Oh, it's fine. My brain does.
Typing password during log-in, navigating terminal with arrow button is very time consuming activity. I prefer things to be rather: write script save it somewhere then run it using ls and cd for things, however i wonder how deamons behave if it's just terminal without desktop environment...

Reply #8
How to achieve the same on freshly installed Artix 02.2019 without deleting lxqt for example and be able to boot straight into tty1 console instead of log in box and then you know passwords and waiting for load etc ;) so instead of dealing with desktop environment i can get straight into writing commands and perhaps learn new things... Then startx if i ever feel like opening any gui packages.
Code: [Select]
% sudo rc-update del xdm
will disable the display manager launch and leave you at the agetty prompt.