Skip to main content
Topic solved
This topic has been marked as solved and requires no further attention.
Topic: update elongind (Read 1511 times) previous topic - next topic

update elongind

Quick inquiry

Code: [Select]
warning: perl: ignoring package upgrade (5.26.1-1 => 5.28.2-1)
:: Replace systemd-dummy with system/elogind? [Y/n]
:: Replace systemd-libs-dummy with system/libelogind? [Y/n]

Re: update elongind

Reply #2
Say yes, elogind is now supplying the dummy systemd libs. If you don't want elogind, IgnorePkg it.
thanks

but if I ignor elogind now, other things might break if I understand this.  More than a few programs are hunting for systemd dummy files.

Reply #3
Say yes, elogind is now supplying the dummy systemd libs. If you don't want elogind, IgnorePkg it.
On my Plasma system I tested to remove elogind and it would cause the removal of 476 packages.... :o , so removal, at least with Plasma, doesn't seem to be a good option.

Best regards.
We should try to be kind to everyone.....we are all fighting some sort of battle.

Reply #4
# pacman -Rdd elogind

will just remove it and nothing else.  See what breaks when you do, and how it breaks it.  It may just not be able to utilize one function but the rest will be fine.  A missing dependency doesn't mean that the program doesn't work at all.

Reply #5
# pacman -Rdd elogind

will just remove it and nothing else.  See what breaks when you do, and how it breaks it.  It may just not be able to utilize one function but the rest will be fine.  A missing dependency doesn't mean that the program doesn't work at all.

Everything  desktop is in one way or another related to elogind.
I don't recommend to remove it, and if you do, you lost any artix help support.

If you remove libelogind, many packages will break and throw shared library not found error.

It is quite simple, if you want to run without any session tracker, you are better off with gentoo.
Binary distros are always compromises.

Reply #6
On my Plasma system I tested to remove elogind and it would cause the removal of 476 packages.... :o , so removal, at least with Plasma, doesn't seem to be a good option.

Best regards.

I would imagine that Plasma is heavely dependent on elogind and freedesktop.org superstructure.  I just run wmaker and it doesn't have hooks for networking configurations, pulse audio, automounting and udev stuff.  It just runs as a desktop on X.  This particular box, though, is just my webserver.  I just need it to run apache, sshd and mariadb.  It also runs a mirror for artix.

Reply #7
Everything  desktop is in one way or another related to elogind.
I don't recommend to remove it, and if you do, you lost any artix help support.

If you remove libelogind, many packages will break and throw shared library not found error.

It is quite simple, if you want to run without any session tracker, you are better off with gentoo.
Binary distros are always compromises.

I understand the compromise and I wouldn't remake my webserver from gentoo ports... maybe I am lazy, but I really wouldlike to not do that.

I tend to let the binary distor do what it wants until it becomes a problem... and then I rip things out and simplify them and fix it.  In this case, at one time I had elogind allowing for 'sudo su -'  without a passwd on any user account.  That really ticked me off and I copied the settings of my pam configuration from an old server to the new one and rm logind

Then there was the time that clicking on a link in thunderbird caused a crash trying to open firefox, over and over, in an infinit loop.  That really sucked.  I removed parts for that as well, ahavi I think I pulled out.  I love artix, and love the work you do artoo, but I've been using  a desktop without troubles for near 2 decades now, and if they would just stop "fixing it". accept for security issues and hardware drivers,  that would make me very happy.

fing wayland is going to make my life miserable.... I know it.