Skip to main content
Topic: [SOLVED] Udevless printing (Read 116 times) previous topic - next topic

[SOLVED] Udevless printing

Hi all!
I have problems trying to use cups without udev running. When i try to print something and see printer state it shows
Code: [Select]
Waiting for printer to become available.
Then i enabled cups debug logging and saw the following lines in error_log:
D [29/May/2019:12:11:14 +0300] [Job 45] libusb_get_device_list=7
D [29/May/2019:12:11:14 +0300] [Job 45] Failed to open device, code: -3
D [29/May/2019:12:11:14 +0300] [Job 45] Waiting for printer to become available.
I [29/May/2019:12:11:15 +0300] Expiring subscriptions...
Cups is rebuilt without udev and dbus support.
What could cause this problem and how to fix it without using udev? (it works with udev)

Re: Udevless printing

Reply #1
The solution was just to run:
chmod 700 /usr/lib/cups/backend/usb

Re: [SOLVED] Udevless printing

Reply #2
1   does this mean you can only run cups as root now?
2  I've tried living comfortably without dbus (not without udev yet) and although when I first tried it I thought "wow, cups works without dbus ...  who needs it?" then I realized it only printed one page per session, it had to be stopped and restarted to print another single page.  Whether this was to print a 2nd different page or two of the same page.  Even a batch as one print instruction to print 2 pages doesn't work, I think it goes with 1pg instruction then hangs, probably waiting some feedback from dbus that never comes.  This is running a single session of cups manually not cupsd.  So it may need a special service script where it stops and restarts per print instruction.  I don't have a ps printer so lpr is not really able to print, or I don't know how yet.  I am also using a hacked ppd from a different model of the same printer brand.
3  If we had this conversation in arch-fora we would both have been banned by now, so thanks to artix for tolerating us.

Reply #3
1   does this mean you can only run cups as root now?
2  I've tried living comfortably without dbus (not without udev yet) and although when I first tried it I thought "wow, cups works without dbus ...  who needs it?" then I realized it only printed one page per session, it had to be stopped and restarted to print another single page.  Whether this was to print a 2nd different page or two of the same page.  Even a batch as one print instruction to print 2 pages doesn't work, I think it goes with 1pg instruction then hangs, probably waiting some feedback from dbus that never comes.  This is running a single session of cups manually not cupsd.  So it may need a special service script where it stops and restarts per print instruction.  I don't have a ps printer so lpr is not really able to print, or I don't know how yet.  I am also using a hacked ppd from a different model of the same printer brand.
3  If we had this conversation in arch-fora we would both have been banned by now, so thanks to artix for tolerating us.
1-no, i can print as user without problems. It seems, these backends are called by daemon when needed and daemon is run as root. Also i have successfully printed from windows tablet accessing printer over network
2-accessing printer from tablet i printed 2 pages in one session. I think, i will provide more info till 10-th of June
3-i think, there is logic behind: if we got rid of systemd why not to move further? :)

Reply #4
then I realized it only printed one page per session, it had to be stopped and restarted to print another single page.  Whether this was to print a 2nd different page or two of the same page.  Even a batch as one print instruction to print 2 pages doesn't work, I think it goes with 1pg instruction then hangs, probably waiting some feedback from dbus that never comes.
All works fine for me: i have just printed 12 pages as usual.
Could this be some printer-specific error? I had hp printer which worked this way with most of devices (including some Windows-based)