Skip to main content
Topic: Gparted 1,0 and gtkmm3  (Read 1193 times) previous topic - next topic

Gparted 1,0 and gtkmm3

Is it possible to build gparted without the gtkmm3 dependency?  I don't even know what exactly it does, I suspect increased gtk3 functionality, but being so huge I suspect it might be worth the effort to skip the dependency.

Re: Goarted 1,0 and gtk3mm

Reply #1
Maybe you should try to build it by yourself
I am not sure if GTK isn't something related to graphical interface so maybe if its possible to run gparted in terminal then maybe it is possible, it's just what i figured out but i completely haven't got idea about stuff

have a nice day

Re: Goarted 1,0 and gtk3mm

Reply #2
Huge?? I just proposed to install gparted on my Plasma system, and the total download was only 3.89 MiB. Do you have a special reason to have to build gparted??

Best regards.
We should try to be kind to everyone.....we are all fighting some sort of battle.

Re: Goarted 1,0 and gtkmm3

Reply #3
On the previous version there wasn't this gtkmm3 dependency.  There may be other software using it so the dependency was satisfied already for you.

Code: [Select]
pacman -Rnsu gparted
checking dependencies...

Package (2)  Old Version  Net Change

gtkmm3       3.24.1-1     -10.54 MiB
gparted      1.0.0-1       -7.05 MiB

Total Removed Size:  17.59 MiB

Reply #5
GTK+ has bindings to various languages including C++ while GTKMM is specifically for C++ and uses a C++ code style.
According to their website:
What is gtkmm (Previously known as Gtk--)?
gtkmm is a C++ wrapper for GTK+. That is, it is a language binding that lets you use GTK+ from C++. This includes support for C++ features such as inheritance, polymorphism and other powerful techniques which C++ programmers expect to have at their disposal.
Why is it named gtkmm?
gtkmm was orignally named gtk-- because GTK+ already has a + in the name. However, as -- is not easily indexed by search engines the package generally went by the name gtkmm, and that's what we stuck with.

If you build the test apps they build a lot slower than the GTK equivalent ones, perhaps it's not so much an issue for larger builds though, IDK.

Reply #6
You could always do the same thing as gparted with parted on the command line if you dont like the gtkmm3 dependency.

Reply #7
It's always used gtkmm, I looked back through the git history in the online repo to the original README file:
Initial revision
Bart Hakvoort authored Sep 19, 2004
GParted is written in C++ and uses gtkmm as Graphical Toolkit.

Reply #8
GParted has been ported from GTK2 (gtkmm2) to GTK3 (gtkmm3)

Yeap, this is the mistake I made since on my installation upgrading gparted 0.3 to 1.0 meant gtkmm3 was installed for the first time, while gtkmm (2) is still a dependency of other software (nitrogen in my case).  I was thinking it is a new dependency not a replaced dependency (gtkmm wasn't dropped and replaced by gtkmm3).  I was double thrown off to think Void build it without this dependency and searching deeper it wasn't installed because it is labeled differently and it was already a dependency of other software... 

Sorry for jumping into quick conclusions, but since it is up here we might as well leave it all, for others to learn to think deeper than I do before running into conclusions.

A tool doing as sensitive work as parted it is not something to hack on and built differently anyway.    I know I can do everything gparted does from the terminal, and I have for systems that don't have X or to set a small server up that will only be accessible through ssh/telnet... but if you do have X running I think it is silly to right down 7 digit numbers for partition size  (begin/end) and resizing partitions with a calculator next to you not to make a mistake, ....  Some of us are more visual than others and understand shapes better than numbers.