Skip to main content
Topic: Bluetooth PS3 controllers not connecting (Read 5721 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Bluetooth PS3 controllers not connecting

Reply #30
I found a working kernel in the arch old package repos, kernel 4.20.1
hurray! :D

I'd like to get this to work on later kernels, but I at least have SOMETHING for now!

For anybody having my problem, this is where I found these kernels:
https://archive.archlinux.org/packages/l/linux-headers/
https://archive.archlinux.org/packages/l/linux/

Reply #31
You said that 4.19 wasn't working so I assumed 4.20 and later wouldn't work and you were looking for older editions.

Reply #32
Yep 4.19 wasn't working because 4.19 receives updates still I guess, but this 4.20.1 will work thankfully.

Now, onto my main concern:

Can we somehow make the driver for PS3 controllers into a DKMS module & put it on the AUR?? I would happily pay a bit of money for such a thing to be done to be honest, I need this thing to work and so do many others! I figure a bit of a financial incentive might help... maybe 40 or 50 CAD donation from me. I know that's not much in US or euros, but I figure its better than offering nothing.... if somebody wants to do it for free, hey, by all means go for it! I just really want my controllers to work! I hope my offering isn't against any forum rules... just take my money! :D

Reply #33
The kernel is constantly evolving so all elements including modules need to be updated too. If they are in the kernel the kernel maintainers take care of it. Taking your bluetooth driver from a 4 series kernel and porting it to work in the latest 5 series would mean replicating all those changes and probably fixing whatever caused the problem afterwards as well. It would be easier to just find the problem. Advanced Arch users might do a git bisect on the kernel to find the commit. Otherwise perhaps post some hardware details - what bluetooth driver (s) are you actually using, there are several for different makes of card, hope someone reads it, revert to a working version and wait for it to be fixed like fungalnet suggested earlier. There are bluez bluetooth project contact details here:
http://www.bluez.org/contact/
They might help but you'd need to be prepared to answer some challenging technical questions (tread carefully with busy clever people  ;D ) and possibly they will ask you to try the latest versions which might mean compiling the latest kernel, although the latest version in Artix may suffice to illustrate there's a relevant problem.

Reply #34
Yay, it magically works again! I don't really know how, but the latest kernels are working with my ps3 controller!
Thank the lord! :D

Reply #35
Does anyone know why its working again? It must of gotten back into the kernel, right? I'm so happy it works again regardless but would like to know whats going on, or how to even find out this info...

Reply #36
2022, this is still a problem. Not seeing PS3 controller. I tried all of the above recommendations and still get the systemd error if i try trizen -S bluez-ps3

Solution:
Install:
trizen -S lib32-bluez-libs
trizen -S bluez-plugins
trizen -S bluez-utils
trizen -S bluez

bluetoothctl (in terminal)
then open bluetooth panel and search devices while plugged in.... Discovered!

Reply #37
ps3 controllers are obsolete i think is the issue.  it's not in 2022 this is still a problem.  the tech has moved on and they don't wish to support this ancient tech on modern systems.  a year or more, maybe more than 2 it was dropped.  I haven't followed the issue for some time but that's what i remember.
Cat Herders of Linux

Reply #38
FYI there is way, way better support in linux for wired usb controllers. I'm using a noname but good quality xbox 360 emulated one (dinput) and works perfectly. some modules are even integrated into the kernel like xpad

and yeah unfortunately legacy bluetooth stuff is being abandoned, possibly everything apart from audio and basic file transfer

Reply #39
of course if you have 7 cats, wireless is the only way to go.  ps3 controllers are like 10-15$  xbox 50-60$  who can afford those prices?
FYI there is way, way better support in linux for wired usb controllers. I'm using a noname but good quality xbox 360 emulated one (dinput) and works perfectly. some modules are even integrated into the kernel like xpad

and yeah unfortunately legacy bluetooth stuff is being abandoned, possibly everything apart from audio and basic file transfer
Cat Herders of Linux

Reply #40
of course if you have 7 cats, wireless is the only way to go.  ps3 controllers are like 10-15$  xbox 50-60$  who can afford those prices?
oh, they do chew the wires then
at my house the setup i have is a 5m active usb3.0 extension and a hub, nothing wireless but most of the wires are hidden, you should try that one day
my xbox 360 knockoff is something made by Trust and it costed 10$. but yeah nothing beats the OEM ones, i agree