Skip to main content
Topic: Installed system does not boot. (Read 2692 times) previous topic - next topic

Installed system does not boot.

Hello, I have a problem the OS won't boot after I install this on my HDD. I've been installed several OS based on arch, and they all won't boot from HDD. My computer just simple doesn't see it. Also, the interesting part of this problem is that GRUB is loading only from USB stick and can recognize that system is installed, but when I try to boot installed system even through this, it's just freeze. My laptop is Acer 5315 with last updated BIOS(ass possible for this machine) and with upgraded CPU and RAM.

Re: Installed system does not boot.

Reply #1
The description of your problem is very vaque, there could be a number of problems going on here, including Secure Boot issues. Also, if I remember correctly, at least some Acer laptops had soft-locked boot manager and there was no way to unlock it other than manually tampering with EFI vars.

Reply #2
I have an Acer E15, maybe similar to 5315.  This Acer does in fact have a troublesome UEFI.  The trouble is in getting the freshly installed OS entry in the ESP (/boot/efi/EFI/Artix/grubx64.efi) "connected" to an NVRAM Boot variable in the UEFI.  This part must be done within the UEFI (bios) on this machine.  efibootmgr can not be used, Acer UEFI ignores any such operation.

In the UEFI is an option labeled "Restore Secure Boot to Factory".  I have to use this to first get rid of all the variables within UEFI, then use option "Select UEFI File Trusted" to add the entry in the ESP that was installed by the OS (Artix).

This is a PITA.  And I do not dual boot windows.  I would have to check my old notes to see if I even have instructions on how to do a dual boot.

There may be an easier way, but I havent found one.

Reply #3
Hello, I have a problem the OS won't boot after I install this on my HDD. I've been installed several OS based on arch, and they all won't boot from HDD. My computer just simple doesn't see it. Also, the interesting part of this problem is that GRUB is loading only from USB stick and can recognize that system is installed, but when I try to boot installed system even through this, it's just freeze. My laptop is Acer 5315 with last updated BIOS(ass possible for this machine) and with upgraded CPU and RAM.

try putting the computer on BIOS legacy mode

Reply #4
Try this:

Code: [Select]
sudo mkdir /boot/efi/EFI/BOOT
sudo cp /boot/efi/EFI/Artix/grubx64.efi /boot/efi/EFI/BOOT/bootx64.efi

Then try to boot.
ARTIX Dinit + SDDM + Enlightenment

Reply #5
Who has the mintbox?  I love those machines.  My system is a FIT/PC Intense II

Reply #8
What a beautiful piece of metal that is! All you need is an Artix sticker over Mint's. ;-)

Actually it can be ordered also without the Linux Mint customization. The only reason why I odered it with Mint was that I wanted to be sure that the configuration was tested with Linux.

Reply #9
Actually it can be ordered also without the Linux Mint customization. The only reason why I odered it with Mint was that I wanted to be sure that the configuration was tested with Linux.

That doesn't always help.  I have the fit/PC with the Intel Atom Z530 (Silverthorne) cpu - the fit/pc II
https://www.fit-pc.com/web/products/fit-pc2/

The video card worked with a legacy version of SuSE but when I installed the latest version, the video never worked correctly.  It doesn't matter that much since it is my DNS and Mail Server, but still...   The video has a custom hack by CompuLabs and standard installs failed to work well... out of the box.

That being said, this is my favorite line of hardware.

Reply #10
(…)
That being said, this is my favorite line of hardware.

I like it, because it's so small that it saves a lot of space on my desk and in addition it is fanless. I get always annoyed by the humming sound of fans, even if they are very silent.

A couple of weeks ago the motherboard of my Hackintosh got frozen and I'm finishing my PhD right now! :D
Luckily I have a MacBook too and all the relevant data is in a cloud storage. As I have all that Linux knowledge I thought it will be the easiest to buy a fitlet and go ahead. Right now I don't have the time to experiment with new motherboards that might or might not work with macOS.

Reply #11
I like it, because it's so small that it saves a lot of space on my desk and in addition it is fanless. I get always annoyed by the humming sound of fans, even if they are very silent.

A couple of weeks ago the motherboard of my Hackintosh got frozen and I'm finishing my PhD right now! :D
Luckily I have a MacBook too and all the relevant data is in a cloud storage. As I have all that Linux knowledge I thought it will be the easiest to buy a fitlet and go ahead. Right now I don't have the time to experiment with new motherboards that might or might not work with macOS.

Is hackentosh a real distro based are Darwin?  Otherwise you lost me.  I never needed the cloud. I have servers and back ups of the servers to SATA drives.  It is all pretty easy these days as compared to the 1990s when I had to back up to tape.  My Instense PC II has a Raid 1 redundency on it through 2 large SATA drives.

The major thing about not having a fan is, simply, you remove the most likely reason for hardware failure.  It is difficult to fry a motherboard when it has no fan to begin with. 

BTW - I did my entire MS, including the thesis on Artix, including the roll out of the customized kernel level shceduler that I wrote for my OS class :)

Reply #12

Is hackentosh a real distro based are Darwin?  Otherwise you lost me.  I never needed the cloud. I have servers and back ups of the servers to SATA drives.  It is all pretty easy these days as compared to the 1990s when I had to back up to tape.  My Instense PC II has a Raid 1 redundency on it through 2 large SATA drives.

The major thing about not having a fan is, simply, you remove the most likely reason for hardware failure.  It is difficult to fry a motherboard when it has no fan to begin with. 

BTW - I did my entire MS, including the thesis on Artix, including the roll out of the customized kernel level shceduler that I wrote for my OS class :)

Hackintosh in this sense is just regular macOS on non-Apple hardware, usually using the Clover boot manager. I started to use cloud services because of macOS, as it was a convenient way to share my documents between my macOS machines and still using LyX and LibreOffice instead of cloud office suite solutions. Unfortunately iCloud has a terrible bug: If you backup your entire harddisk and boot from the backup, it will overwrite your cloud storage with the old files. For many reasons I moved to NextCloud, as it works on Linux too and I could set up my own server if I wanted to.