Skip to main content
Topic: [Solved] LXQT/Plasma ISO boots properly in a VM but not actual hardware. (Read 1296 times) previous topic - next topic

[Solved] LXQT/Plasma ISO boots properly in a VM but not actual hardware.

Not sure what's going on here, but I'm using the 20190609 lxqt/plasma iso to try to install on my Precision M4800.  The system boots, after running a self-test, into a console.  Logging in doesn't start X and manually starting gives me 3 white terminals only.

Before that, I tried it out in a VM as I was curious about it.  DVD image booted into an LXQT desktop and installed normally.

Live USB was created via rufus in DD mode on two different, known working USB drives.  M4800 is configured for either legacy or UEFI mode and didn't have problems with other distros (had Antergos installed before, rip).

The only error I was able to see was this in the Xorg log (see attached image)
Looks like something with glamor renderer?

Re: LXQT/Plasma ISO boots properly in a VM but not actual hardware.

Reply #1
I've got a M4800 too and I can boot the same ISO without problems, in fact it's the machine I created and tested both QT and GTK flavours. What's your exact hardware configuration? Since the ISO passed (?) its self-test, I assume the image was downloaded correctly, but it doesn't hurt to compare the checksum. FWIW, I just dd(1) the image to /dev/sdX that points to the USB stick.

Reply #2
I've got a M4800 too and I can boot the same ISO without problems, in fact it's the machine I created and tested both QT and GTK flavours. What's your exact hardware configuration?
  • i7-4800MQ
  • 16GB of RAM
  • FirePro M5100
  • 128GB mSATA (where the system will go)
  • 500GB HDD (data storage)
  • 1080P screen
Since the ISO passed (?) its self-test, I assume the image was downloaded correctly, but it doesn't hurt to compare the checksum.
I forgot to mention that the ISO did match the checksum.
FWIW, I just dd(1) the image to /dev/sdX that points to the USB stick.
I guess I could try different utilities.  I happen to avoid using dd directly as a typo can have disastrous consequences.
Tried different computers, a few more flash drives, several different utilities including dd, and still the same problem.

Off topic: What do your load temps look like?  Mine seem high in whatever OS I'm running.

Reply #3
I have solved this.  Apparently there was an issue with the intel driver that comes with the ISO.  I updated just that while booted via command line and restarted the xdm service.  I got a desktop after that and installed normally.

Re: [Solved] LXQT/Plasma ISO boots properly in a VM but not actual hardware.

Reply #4
I have solved this.  Apparently there was an issue with the intel driver that comes with the ISO.  I updated just that while booted via command line and restarted the xdm service.  I got a desktop after that and installed normally.
Sorry for the late reply, I'm off the grid these days. Glad you solved it. It's weird though it didn't work on your M4800, we should both have the same (intel) hardware. I suspect it has something to do with the hybrid graphics integration, yours being a FirePro.

Off topic: What do your load temps look like?  Mine seem high in whatever OS I'm running.
I'm running a BFS/CK kernel, which means less sleep time for my CPU cores. Temperature now is at 43-48°C idling with an ambient of 30°C; in winter it's below 40°C and fans are off. At moderate load it jumps to around 65°C and at full load I've seen 80-82°C and the BIOS throttles down the CPU.