Skip to main content
Topic: New to Artix (Read 1217 times) previous topic - next topic

New to Artix

Hi All..

New member here. I've been looking for a non-systemd distro that I can pursuade SWMBO to move to.
She won't entertain Slackware or Devuan (too techie, according to her) and prefers Mint.

I've been recommending Mint to family members and new starters for quite a while now. Therefore I run it as well as Slackware, Devuan and a few others as I have to support them.

After a few  systemd battles recently (I hate it!),  I've decided to dump Mint and look for an alternative.

I've tried a few lightweight distro's.. I didn't like some aspects of them (from the new starter point of view).
I then stumbled across Artix... Just superb! Very fast & good looking "out of the box".

I can't use the Artix bootloaders as I multiboot on quite a few machines with Grub.. No biggie though..

I'm just finding my way around the system.. I'm very impressed so far!

Bodge99

Re: New to Artix

Reply #1
I've not found anything better  ;D  Everyone here is very friendly and helpful, it's a bit quiet atm as everyone is out enjoying the summer and there are not many current software problems I would guess. I was lucky enough to encounter Arch OpenRC when it was just a small alt repo quite soon after it started, I had doubts how long it would last, later I used Manjaro OpenRC too, the project has just kept improving and it's still here and so am I.

Reply #2
New user here too.  Been using Artix a month or so.   Although I did run "it" for a while back when it Manjaro-OpenRC.  Once Devuan was released, switched over and used it up until switching back to Artix.

One thing I like is the pure implementation  of OpenRC on Artix.  Using openrc-init as pid 1;  thats impressive as it didnt even work a few months ago (atleast in Debian/Devuan version). 

Something else I like is the simplification of bin and lib; all the bin and lib directories symlink to /usr/bin and /usr/lib.   Is this an Artix implementation or is it from Manjaro or Arch?

Happy here, solid distro, no problems.

Reply #3
Something else I like is the simplification of bin and lib; all the bin and lib directories symlink to /usr/bin and /usr/lib.   Is this an Artix implementation or is it from Manjaro or Arch?

iirc, it is curse from Arch.

Reply #4
New user here too.  Been using Artix a month or so.   Although I did run "it" for a while back when it Manjaro-OpenRC.  Once Devuan was released, switched over and used it up until switching back to Artix.

One thing I like is the pure implementation  of OpenRC on Artix.  Using openrc-init as pid 1;  thats impressive as it didnt even work a few months ago (atleast in Debian/Devuan version). 

Happy here, solid distro, no problems.
Code: [Select]
init(1,)-+-acpid(2283,2283)
         |-avahi-daemon(2615,2614)---avahi-daemon(2616,2614)
         |-crond(2310,2310)
         |-cupsd(2648,2648)
         |-dbus-daemon(1462,1462)
         |-dbus-daemon(11753,11753)
         |-dbus-launch(11752,2783)
         |-dhcpcd(2536,2536)
         |-elogind-daemon(1491,1490)
         |-gconfd-2(11797,11753)
         |-oclock(11741,2783)
         |-openrc-settings(8261,8260)-+-{openrc-settings}(8267,8260)
         |                            `-{openrc-settings}(8270,8260)
         |-sddm(2783,2783)-+-Xorg(11689,11689)-+-{Xorg}(11691,11689)
         |                 |                   |-{Xorg}(11692,11689)
         |                 |                   |-{Xorg}(11693,11689)
         |                 |                   `-{Xorg}(11694,11689)
         |                 |-sddm-helper(11713,2783)---wmaker(11715,2783)---wmaker(11731,2783)-+-chromium(13253,13253)-+-chromium(13256,13253)---chromium(13258,13253)-+-chromium(13382,13253)-+-{chromium}(13385,13253)
         |                 |                                                                   |                       |                                               |                       |-{chromium}(13387,13253)
         |                 |                                                                   |                       |                                               |                       |-{chromium}(13388,13253)
         |                 |                                                                   |                       |                                               |                       |-{chromium}(13393,13253)
         |                 |                                                                   |                       |                                               |                       |-{chromium}(13395,13253)
         |                 |                                                                   |                       |                                               |                       |-{chromium}(13396,13253)
         |                 |                                                                   |                       |                                               |                       |-{chromium}(13397,13253)
         |                 |                                                                   |                       |                                               |                       |-{chromium}(13398,13253)
         |                 |                                                                   |                       |                                               |                       |-{chromium}(13399,13253)
         |                 |                                                                   |                       |                                               |                       |-{chromium}(13472,13253)
         |                 |                                                                   |                       |                                               |                       `-{chromium}(13525,13253)
         |                 |                                                                   |                       |                                               |-chromium(17958,13253)-+-{chromium}(17959,13253)
         |                 |                                                                   |                       |                                               |                       |-{chromium}(17961,13253)
         |                 |                                                                   |                       |                                               |                       |-{chromium}(17962,13253)
         |                 |                                                                   |                       |                                               |                       |-{chromium}(17963,13253)
         |                 |                                                                   |                       |                                               |                       |-{chromium}(17965,13253)
         |                 |                                                                   |                       |                                               |                       |-{chromium}(17966,13253)
         |                 |                                                                   |                       |                                               |                       |-{chromium}(17967,13253)

?  say what?