Skip to main content
Topic: chromium issues. wont start (Read 1121 times) previous topic - next topic

chromium issues. wont start

chromium
/usr/lib/chromium/chromium: error while loading shared libraries: libjsoncpp.so.20: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Re: chromium issues. wont start

Reply #1
i did a pamac search for libjsoncpp and found there is in fact a c++ file installed already called jsoncpp but i see nothing else in the repo or the aur that i might be able to install to rectify the issue with it not starting.

also the package i did install is ungoogled-chromium-bin from the aur for chromium.  figure the bin file would be an easy build from the aur.

Reply #2
ah well.  i see there was an ungoogled-chromium in the repos that works just fine.  wish i had seen that one fist instead of the one from the aur.  silly me.  much ado about nothing here...

Reply #3
new problem.

ungoogled chromium from the repos gives me this the main gif is all washed out but the tumbnails look fine.

Reply #4
put here the address of this site please

Reply #5
giphy.com

Reply #6
The exact page in the picture is here
I got it by blowing up the image and reading the address.

(You can insert full links and give them concise names with the button that looks like a blue ashtray with a cigarette on it above the forum box, not sure what it symbolises  :D )

I tried it in regular Chromium and PaleMoon, both were fine. However hovering on the element shows it links to YouTube, unlike the others, which link to more giphy pages. So does ungoogled chromium work on YouTube I wonder?
But then I tried inspect element and it seems the top image is an .mp4 while the others are .webp

top mp4 image

webp-example

So there could be some mp4 playback related issue. Perhaps looking at the deps and optional deps could help? (pacman -Si pkgname) Or could it be something to do with hardware acceleration problems? I think this is most likely as that kind of mangled image looks like failed hw accel, so whatever is displaying the mp4 can't use your GPU but is trying regardless, either it should be improved or hw accel turned off for that situation.
I tried uninstalling chromium and installed ungoogled chromium and that worked for me on that page too.

Reply #7
Well i had uninstalled even the ungoogled-chromium from the repos and installed the normal chromium and the normal chromium works fine so i guess the solution is to use that.  i cant find anything mp4 related as you have suggested that isnt installed that could be installed.  Ah well google chromium it is then

Reply #8
Try going to settings - advanced - use hardware acceleration when available
And turn it off to see if works then.
I just retried ungoogled-chromium after moving ~/.config/chromium but it still works for me, however I'm using nouveau so cpu emulated not gpu graphics.
The links to the individual files actually don't work above when I click on them as they resolve to the main page for some reason.
Copying and pasting them into ungoogled-chromium did work though.
https://media2.giphy.com/media/9kyzgjFeI2DQs/giphy.webp?cid=790b7611bdffd9fb0bab537fda39af4765e0cf658aafae68&rid=giphy.webp
https://media.giphy.com/media/l4HnOJm5yDFlhoi5i/giphy.mp4

Also probably some extension could be added to ungoogled chromium to help with mp4 playback, it doesn't even  have any search engines installed as standard it seems because I couldn't search anything.
Under optional deps it has these which could affect graphics:
    libva-intel-driver: for hardware video acceleration with Intel GPUs
    libva-mesa-driver: for hardware video acceleration with AMD/ATI GPUs
    libva-vdpau-driver: for hardware video acceleration with NVIDIA GPUs

Reply #9
i have libva-mesa-driver installed so...

Reply #10
i actually turned off use video acceleration and restarted the ungoogled-chromium and it works better.

Reply #11
TY for the recent update to ungoolged-chromium.  i saw it updated recently, so i turned on video acceleration and giphy gifs all show as expected!  TY so much!