Skip to main content
Topic: Openbox on Mate-Lxde (Read 1306 times) previous topic - next topic

Openbox on Mate-Lxde

... hi @ all

i switched from Manjaro to Artix yesterday because Manjaro makes some problems in the last few days & a friend told me to try out Artix; until now i'm very impressed and because i originally came from Manjaro-Gnome i installed the Mate-Lxde version.
Now my question, when i change in the login screen to Openbox, it ends in a grey empty Desktop >>> must i install something to get the Openbox DE or is this an error ???

Many thanxxx in advance !!! :)
>>> AMD® A10-4655m apu with radeon(tm) hd graphics × 4
>>> AMD® Aruba
>>> Artix Plasma Lxqt Openrc

>>> Si vis pacem para bellum <<<

Re: Openbox on Mate-Lxde

Reply #1
Hello,
OpenBox is window manager, I believe that you can get context menu when you click on desktop with Right Mouse Button.
The things like panels, compisitor, notifications and many more are naturaly not included in it and you have to configure it.

If you are trying to choose different DE from mate try to select lxde or lxqt.

Reply #2
i installed the Mate-Lxde version.
Now my question, when i change in the login screen to Openbox, it ends in a grey empty Desktop >>> must i install something to get the Openbox DE or is this an error ???
Openbox was specifically disabled from the Mate-LXDE ISO login manager because it was not configured to run as stand-alone desktop, only as window manager to LXDE.

I believe you have to install at least a couple of its components to make it fully functional as a desktop, but then again I've never touched OB before...

Reply #3
As this thread is about Openbox, I would like to ask if it is possible to remove LXQT from my installation and run the Openbox WM as a desktop. (Actually, I am sure it is possible, really just asking how I would go about this!)

I am familiar with Openbox having used it on other distros in the past, and I am keen to run as lightweight desktop as possible. Also, I much prefer the right click menu as used in Openbox/Fluxbox etc.

I am new to Artix and am still feeling my way around pacman, etc.

Reply #4
As this thread is about Openbox, I would like to ask if it is possible to remove LXQT from my installation and run the Openbox WM as a desktop. (Actually, I am sure it is possible, really just asking how I would go about this!)
Re-install openbox to restore /usr/share/xsessions/openbox.desktop (if you come from Mate-LXDE ISO) and read the Arch wiki article on OB.

Reply #5
i switched from Manjaro to Artix yesterday because Manjaro makes some problems in the last few days & a friend told me to try out Artix; until now i'm very impressed and because i originally came from Manjaro-Gnome i installed the Mate-Lxde version.
You could try installing tint2 (panel) and a program that automates menu generation (menu generator). You might read some documentation about OB as a standalone desktop as well, iin the OB documentation, Archwiki etc, to find out what the minimum or suggested requirements are to run OB as a full featured desktop.

Reply #6
Thanks very much for the replies, I will pursue it as soon as I have time and report back.