Skip to main content
Topic: libreoffice and openoffice (Read 1346 times) previous topic - next topic

libreoffice and openoffice

What is the practical difference at this point between Libreoffice an OpenOffice.  I had a coworker who I was going to start off on Libreoffice, but it seems that OpenOffice is still updating and upgrading.  There is a license diffrence, for sure.  Are they on parrellel development tracks?

Re: libreoffice and openoffice

Reply #1
Apache OpenOffixe is deadly stable and has almost no updates.
LibreOffice is deadly unstable and has myriad of updates.

Reply #2
Apache OpenOffixe is deadly stable and has almost no updates.
LibreOffice is deadly unstable and has myriad of updates.

It is funny you say it that way.  I always found that both of them are very buggy when you use them extensively, especially when it comes to how it lay outs graphics in the text.  When I was doing my thesis, it would make me crazy trying to line up pages in rational ways.  I considered moving to Scribus, but it is too hard to work in, that is to create content.  If you want to paste up existing content, no problem.  The more you use them, the more you see the bugs and how do you write a bug report about something like that?

On page 42 of my ducument, this SVG image when embbeded into the test suddenly disapaired from the document ... etc.

These are not useful bug reports.

Reply #3

It is the reality from development point of view.

Apache OpenOffice (AOO) only had few very small bugfix releases.
LibreOffice (LO) in meantime had few major releases.

Both of them are buggy that we all know.
The difference is that in AOO the bugs are stable, same over the years and in LO the bugs are ever changing.
Even if you use 'stable' branch of LO you will soon be forced to either update and fight with new bugs (and a possibility of many broken documents) or to use unsupported version or to pay for the support.

So for corporation which desires stable environment (even if buggy) AOO is much better.

For your thesis, you should go for LaTex.

Reply #4

For your thesis, you should go for LaTex.

yup,  i've had friends do that I am glad I wasn't one of them....

This paper was written with Free Software as defined by the Free Software Foundation. Software used
includes:

LibreOffice

GIMP

DIA

GCC

Look

GVIM

Apache

Okular

make

pan
I’d like to give a tip of the hat to my friend Richard Stallman, and John Tennant for their inspirational
work in bringing education and light to humanity.
Please see http://openscience.org/
Please see the Royal Tyrrell Museum in Drumheller, Alberta Canada and enjoy their online lecture
series.
The Dinosaur Mailing list is at http://dml.cmnh.org/about.html
usenet paleontology and programming resources: sci.bio.paleontology, comp.lang.c++, and sci.math

http://www.nylxs.com/docs/thesis/writeups/thesis.pdf