Skip to main content
Topic: start-stop program is now gone, depacated (Read 1223 times) previous topic - next topic

start-stop program is now gone, depacated

So now that the start-stop dameon is gone, what in openrc that is doing that supervision and configurations?

All those init scripts that have previously used stop-start need a rewriting?

Re: start-stop program is now gone, depacated

Reply #1
Hi,

I am unfamiliar with the start-stop daemon but I have been using openRc the last 15 years or so, went for Gentoo 2005-ish.

openRc takes care of starting script during boot in several runlevels  (boot, default).
The scripts is located in /etc/init.d
When I have moved out from openRc I have always felt hindered by the usage of a third software, like start or systemctl when starting and stoping my init-sciprts - in openRc the scripts is started instead:

Code: [Select]
# /etc/init.d/net.eth0 restart 

I figure this is similarly awkward the other way around ;)

Each script is added to a runlevel usin rc-update

Code: [Select]
# rc-update add net.eth0 default
The script will then be started during the default runlevel.

Scripts does impose dependencies that determines the order and if dependent services are started as well.

The effort to port scripts to openRc (and a few others) is virtually what the Artix project is about; taking the systemd-based packages from Archi linux and transform them to work with openRc (and a few others).

A comprehensive guide for openRc can be found on the gentoo wiki: https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/OpenRC

Happy new year,
Erik

I take full responsibility of my Linux systems - I just need some help from time to time.

Re: start-stop program is now gone, depacated

Reply #2
So now that the start-stop dameon is gone, what in openrc that is doing that supervision and configurations?

All those init scripts that have previously used stop-start need a rewriting?

Late to this topic, but if the start-stop daemon is actually deprecated that just means new scripts should be written using supervise-daemon instead. As far as I know, Gentoo scripts are still all on the old start-stop daemon so probably not much will change anytime soon.