Skip to main content
Topic: Project Vole now Artix Linux based (runit) (Read 1935 times) previous topic - next topic

Project Vole now Artix Linux based (runit)

Have created a very beta iso based on Artix runit called Project Vole.  It runs Spectrwm window manager and xterm, not much else.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/project-vole/files/Project_Vole/

Any comments, feedback welcome...

Mr Green
Mr Green ArchBang Iso Developer

Re: Project Vole now Artix Linux based (runit)

Reply #1
Do you have the profile source for the iso online?

If you are familiar with buildiso, you could do artix iso releases.

Reply #2
Will update my source in the next few days, certainly iso is no where near a release. I may have tainted iso by using archiso... and its hooks. Thing that gets me is I have to add loop module for iso to get past pivot root.

Would like to get UEFI working but I do not want to load grub

Adding keys is pain need gpg mounted to tmpfs and then get pacman-key run.... maybe from rc.local.

Using connman for wifi is at best painful!

Did look at buildiso scripts but as I am so used to archiso I could not figure them out.

You guys any closer to using dracut?

Reply #3
You use archiso? Urgs, your choice.  :o

Yeah, I added dracut support in buildiso.

Reply #4
Did look at buildiso scripts but as I am so used to archiso I could not figure them out.

It's dead easy, provided you're running Artix.
Code: [Select]
% sudo pacman -Sy artools
% cd ~/artools-workspace   # default working dir
% git clone https://gitea.artixlinux.org/artix/iso-profiles.git
All user settings are read from ~/.config/artools/*.conf, if they're missing you can copy them over from /etc/artools/. In the profiles, there are currently 2 branches, master and community. In the former you'll find the profiles of the official base, lxqt etc flavours (mate is still WIP); in the latter the ones for the fat mate-lxde and plasma-lxqt ISOs. You can copy any profile you feel closer to your taste in a new subdirectory, say spectrwm and then edit the package lists (dependencies are handled automagically), chose the login manager etc. Once satisfied, just run buildiso:
Code: [Select]
% buildiso -p spectrwm -i runit
If buildiso complains and throws any errors, it's usually trivial to amend. May I also add that @konimex (the runit guy in Artix) has specifically requested not to make any "fat" ISOs with runit, so you should stick with the slim profiles from master.

Reply #5
@nous thanks I will give it a go, I have my laptop running Artix so would not be a problem... I was just itching to get something built.

Currently using airootfs from Vole systemd to build iso, configs etc.... wallpaper .spectrwm.conf

Thank for your help x

Reply #6
Ok first build with artools

cp /var/lib/artools/buildiso/spectrwm/artix/rootfs/boot/vmlinuz : No such file or directory
Failure in make_bootfs

Is linux package missing???

Reply #8
Am building base as a trial then will start to modify configs...

Thanks

Reply #9
So I can build base and lxqt iso from profiles, only was getting a key error... Cleared cache and reinstalled archlinux-keyring. rebooted.

Error was related to buildiso not finding *.cfg files.  Although Grub package is in list.

Reply #10
Ok my bad removed artix grub artwork and now build is running...

Reply #11
At this rate, you're fast becoming our official ISO release engineer.

Reply #12
I need to know when grub configs get installed? [in buildiso] and if there is a way to run a script under chroot in system prior to creating iso image?

Can build iso with Vole kind of working, but need to trim down the packages and lighten iso quite a bit.

Reply #13
I need to know when grub configs get installed?

The live grub cfg files are installed by the artix-grub-theme package and it's artix-grub-theme-common depend.

if there is a way to run a script under chroot in system prior to creating iso image

Perhaps it would be better if you told  what you try to achieve?