Skip to main content
Topic solved
This topic has been marked as solved and requires no further attention.
Topic: [SOLVED] xorgproto 2019.2-2 breaks dependency (Read 4881 times) previous topic - next topic

[SOLVED] xorgproto 2019.2-2 breaks dependency

Probably a temporary version confusion, but the latest xorgproto seems to have got ahead of some other packages.
IgnorePkg = xorgproto
in /etc/pacman.conf fixed it for now to allow the upgrade to continue.
There is a new libice to go with the new xorgproto so it will be interesting to see how that works, as I've been using my rebuilt one up until now.
https://forum.artixlinux.org/index.php/topic,1085.msg8222.html#msg8222
Code: [Select]
$ sudo pacman -Syu
:: Synchronising package databases...
 system is up to date
 world is up to date
 galaxy is up to date
 extra is up to date
 community is up to date
:: Starting full system upgrade...
resolving dependencies...
looking for conflicting packages...
error: failed to prepare transaction (could not satisfy dependencies)
:: installing xorgproto (2019.2-2) breaks dependency 'dmxproto' required by libdmx
:: installing xorgproto (2019.2-2) breaks dependency 'xf86dgaproto' required by libxxf86dga

Re: xorgproto 2019.2-2 breaks dependency

Reply #2
Oh yes, it all works if you follow the instructions!
This reminded me I installed artix-news via pip install a while back. But when I ran it, it didn't work:
$ artix-news 
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/bin/artix-news", line 6, in <module>
    from artix_news import ArtixNewsParser
ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'artix_news'
Python had been upgraded to 3.8 so there was just this 3.7 site-packages directory with a couple of other pip installed modules in it as well.
/usr/lib/python3.7/site-packages/

When I used pip install --user I got a warning about not having .local/bin in $PATH, which I was happy with as it might be a security risk. So before I had used sudo pip install for a system wide install after verifying it did not seem to be malware. But that is apparently wrong and you should always use --user according to online advice. So I made a symlink from /usr/local/bin instead - whether that's any better?! However, because the module is installed under /home/$USER/.local/lib/python3.8/site-packages I think the same problem will occur again. Also pip uninstall did not want to remove the python3.7 items and thought they were not installed, so I had to delete them manually.
$ pip install --user artix-news
WARNING: The script artix-news is installed in '/home/$USER/.local/bin' which is not on PATH.
$ sudo ln -s /home/$USER/.local/bin/artix-news /usr/local/bin/artix-news

So using pip install has some complications in the long term. I suppose you could run pip install then pip uninstall afterwards as it's so fast for small apps like this.

And the new libice works correctly too, with no black screen at desktop startup. It doesn't fix the funky borders from xfwm4. But the graphics code there looks probably scheduled for deletion due to switching to client-side decoration (like GTK CSS I guess) in 4.16:
https://blog.xfce.org/
Changing the xpm's to png's  helps with those a bit btw (not quite perfect but a lot better) for some reason, imagemagick must be installed to run this script (reinstall xfwm4 to revert the change if you wanted)
#!/bin/bash

for f in /usr/share/themes/{Daloa,Default,Default-hdpi,Default-xhdpi,Kokodi,Moheli}/xfwm4/*.png

do
        if [[ -f $f ]]
        then
        rm ${f}
fi
done

for f in /usr/share/themes/{Daloa,Default,Default-hdpi,Default-xhdpi,Kokodi,Moheli}/xfwm4/*.xpm

do
        if [[ -f $f ]]
        then
        convert ${f} ${f%%.xpm}.png
        rm ${f}
fi

done

Reply #3
I DID follow the instructions on the news item but it still failed:

:: unable to satisfy dependency 'dmxproto' required by libdmx

The fix that was just briefly mentioned above:

In the /etc/pacman.conf add the following:
IgnorePkg = xorgproto

During upgrade I got this error:
error: failed to commit transaction (conflicting files)
libx11: /usr/include/X11/extensions/XKBgeom.h exists in filesystem (owned by xorgproto)
Errors occurred, no packages were upgraded.

I removed that file and reran the updgrade.

At the end I removed the IngnorePkg from pacman.conf and reran upgrade and it failed:

:: Starting full system upgrade...
:: installing xorgproto (2019.2-2) breaks dependency 'dmxproto' required by libdmx

I removed xorgproto and reinstalled it.

# pacman -Rdd xorgproto
Packages (1) xorgproto-2019.1-2

Total Removed Size:  1.62 MiB

:: Do you want to remove these packages? [Y/n] y
:: Processing package changes...
(1/1) removing xorgproto                                                    [##########################################] 100%

# pacman -S xorgproto
an -S xorgproto

Packages (1) xorgproto-2019.2-2

Total Download Size:   0.23 MiB
Total Installed Size:  1.47 MiB

:: Proceed with installation? [Y/n] y
:: Retrieving packages...
 xorgproto-2019.2-2-any                         239.4 KiB   391 KiB/s 00:01 [##########################################] 100%
(1/1) checking keys in keyring                                              [##########################################] 100%
(1/1) checking package integrity                                            [##########################################] 100%
(1/1) loading package files                                                 [##########################################] 100%
(1/1) checking for file conflicts                                           [##########################################] 100%
(1/1) checking available disk space                                         [##########################################] 100%
:: Processing package changes...
(1/1) installing xorgproto                                                  [##########################################] 100%

Perehaps I should have removed xorgproto already from start and reinstalled it at the end instead but that is for someone else to find out.

Cheers,
Erik
I take full responsibility of my Linux systems - I just need some help from time to time.

Reply #4
pacman -Rdd xorgproto
pacman -S xorgproto

I had the same problem. Your proposal worked for me too.
Thank you.

Reply #6
It is also in Artix news.