Skip to main content
Topic: Not turning off after Install (Read 222 times) previous topic - next topic

Not turning off after Install

Hey guys, I'm new here and new to artix. I installed artix 2 days ago and had this issue with the computer not turning off and just freezing which I fixed by just editing my UPower file and switching 'HybridSleep' to "PowerOff', everything went fine until i mess something up with that installation. Now I installed it again and same issue but now editing the UPower won't work. hope you could me with this.

I have an MSI GL62 M 7RD .

Re: Not turning off after Install

Reply #1
What init system are you using? And how exactly are you trying to shutdown? Does it actually freeze/get stuck if you run the "poweroff" command?

Reply #2
I'm using OpenRC. I have tried it to shut down thru the command line and the GUI. the command I usually run "shutdown now" which doesn't and both GUI and command line operations just freeze the computer after the taskbar disappears.

Reply #3
Ok, now it locked up on tty like it did on the past installation and it happened because I installed base-devel and gcc my computer would not react to clicks or to key commands. This is what the tty looks like:
Code: [Select]
Artix linux 4.20.10-artix1-1-ARTIX (tty1)

dalas-pc login : dalas
Password:
pidof: /usr/lib/libc.so.6: version ‘GLIBC_2.30’ not found (required by /usr/lib/libelogind.so.0)
[........]$_

Reply #5
Thanks that will fix the base-devel problem, now I just need to solve the issue of not turning off my computer

Reply #6
It's kind of interesting that this happens in the first place. Have you tried any other init system by any chance on this machine? Do they turn off?

Reply #7
It's strange thoe, I will try runit most likely if I'm not able to fix it.

Reply #8
Have you tried the poweroff command yet?
I use OpenRC, with XFCE4 and startx auto login, and have no trouble shutting down via the graphical menu, or by using
$ sudo poweroff
But when I tried using either
$ sudo su
# shutdown now
$ sudo shutdown now
it did not shutdown. Rather it started shutting down, then said:
Cannot open access to console, the root account is locked.
See sulogin(8) man page for more details.
Press Enter to continue.
Pressing enter restarted the system.
When I used to use shutdown on Debian I used shutdown -Ph now I think anyway, it needed some args to work, but they vary on different distros. However, trying that still did not work, it started shutting down then froze and required a hard power off from the power button, ending with the message:
Sending the final term signal
Sending the final kill signal
[1248.507739] reboot: System halted
[1248.567527] MMI: PCI system error (SERR) for reason b0 on CPU 0.
[1248.567527] Dazed and confused, but trying to continue
_
My current usual terminal command is:
$ sudo poweroff && exit
because that closes the terminal window you are in so everything can be shut before shutdown. And it works which is helpful.  ;D

Reply #9
Looking at this some more:
Both shutdown and poweroff are symlinks in /usr/bin that point to wrapper shell scripts which are part of the openrc package:
/usr/lib/openrc/bin/poweroff
/usr/lib/openrc/bin/shutdown
These both interpret the given args and send a command to /usr/bin/openrc-shutdown. This has it's own man page. It's a compiled binary file and the source code is here:
https://github.com/OpenRC/openrc/blob/master/src/rc/openrc-shutdown.c
That uses a glibc function to turn off the system:
$ pacman -Qo /usr/include/sys/reboot.h
/usr/include/sys/reboot.h is owned by glibc 2.30-3
So it uses a standard facility, provided it has the right permissions and is given the correct arguments (which might not be exactly the same as in other distros / inits) it ought to work if it works elsewhere you would imagine, and the problem isn't due to  a more general hardware issue affecting glibc, or the kernel and so on.
shutdown -H or -PH now result in halt which starts to shutdown but does not power off fully. shutdown -P now does poweroff, as does poweroff. shutdown now tries to switch to single user mode and doesn't shut down either.

Reply #10
Thank, yes poweroff did not. However, your second reply might be of great help since I was trying to locate the file that handles the power system. Is weird this might be a problem withing OpenRC or just Computers with NVIDIA cards.