Skip to main content
Topic: Not turning off after Install (Read 4340 times) previous topic - next topic

Not turning off after Install

Hey guys, I'm new here and new to artix. I installed artix 2 days ago and had this issue with the computer not turning off and just freezing which I fixed by just editing my UPower file and switching 'HybridSleep' to "PowerOff', everything went fine until i mess something up with that installation. Now I installed it again and same issue but now editing the UPower won't work. hope you could me with this.

I have an MSI GL62 M 7RD .

Re: Not turning off after Install

Reply #1
What init system are you using? And how exactly are you trying to shutdown? Does it actually freeze/get stuck if you run the "poweroff" command?

Reply #2
I'm using OpenRC. I have tried it to shut down thru the command line and the GUI. the command I usually run "shutdown now" which doesn't and both GUI and command line operations just freeze the computer after the taskbar disappears.

Reply #3
Ok, now it locked up on tty like it did on the past installation and it happened because I installed base-devel and gcc my computer would not react to clicks or to key commands. This is what the tty looks like:
Code: [Select]
Artix linux 4.20.10-artix1-1-ARTIX (tty1)

dalas-pc login : dalas
Password:
pidof: /usr/lib/libc.so.6: version ‘GLIBC_2.30’ not found (required by /usr/lib/libelogind.so.0)
[........]$_

Reply #5
Thanks that will fix the base-devel problem, now I just need to solve the issue of not turning off my computer

Reply #6
It's kind of interesting that this happens in the first place. Have you tried any other init system by any chance on this machine? Do they turn off?

Reply #7
It's strange thoe, I will try runit most likely if I'm not able to fix it.

Reply #8
Have you tried the poweroff command yet?
I use OpenRC, with XFCE4 and startx auto login, and have no trouble shutting down via the graphical menu, or by using
$ sudo poweroff
But when I tried using either
$ sudo su
# shutdown now
$ sudo shutdown now
it did not shutdown. Rather it started shutting down, then said:
Cannot open access to console, the root account is locked.
See sulogin(8) man page for more details.
Press Enter to continue.
Pressing enter restarted the system.
When I used to use shutdown on Debian I used shutdown -Ph now I think anyway, it needed some args to work, but they vary on different distros. However, trying that still did not work, it started shutting down then froze and required a hard power off from the power button, ending with the message:
Sending the final term signal
Sending the final kill signal
[1248.507739] reboot: System halted
[1248.567527] MMI: PCI system error (SERR) for reason b0 on CPU 0.
[1248.567527] Dazed and confused, but trying to continue
_
My current usual terminal command is:
$ sudo poweroff && exit
because that closes the terminal window you are in so everything can be shut before shutdown. And it works which is helpful.  ;D

Reply #9
Looking at this some more:
Both shutdown and poweroff are symlinks in /usr/bin that point to wrapper shell scripts which are part of the openrc package:
/usr/lib/openrc/bin/poweroff
/usr/lib/openrc/bin/shutdown
These both interpret the given args and send a command to /usr/bin/openrc-shutdown. This has it's own man page. It's a compiled binary file and the source code is here:
https://github.com/OpenRC/openrc/blob/master/src/rc/openrc-shutdown.c
That uses a glibc function to turn off the system:
$ pacman -Qo /usr/include/sys/reboot.h
/usr/include/sys/reboot.h is owned by glibc 2.30-3
So it uses a standard facility, provided it has the right permissions and is given the correct arguments (which might not be exactly the same as in other distros / inits) it ought to work if it works elsewhere you would imagine, and the problem isn't due to  a more general hardware issue affecting glibc, or the kernel and so on.
shutdown -H or -PH now result in halt which starts to shutdown but does not power off fully. shutdown -P now does poweroff, as does poweroff. shutdown now tries to switch to single user mode and doesn't shut down either.

Reply #10
Thank, yes poweroff did not. However, your second reply might be of great help since I was trying to locate the file that handles the power system. Is weird this might be a problem withing OpenRC or just Computers with NVIDIA cards.

Reply #11
Is there any prrogress on this issue!!!!!
I'm facing the same problem here. I couldn't find a solution.
I thought that is a problem with my configuration ( my original installation was an imigrated manjaro install), thus I decide to do a fresh reinstall on a news HDD.

Now, just after doing minimal installation (base base-devel openrc linux linux-firmware grub os-prober efibbotmgr networkmanager networmanager-openrc)  and reboot,
sudo openrc-shutdown -p now
which stop at 
Sending the final term signal
Sending the final kill signal
but laptop did not poweroff (!!!!). reboot commands works normally.

My laptop is old asus with an old nvidia geforce 310M, which make me think that the problem is due to nvidia card. On my origin installation, it became more frequent that the screen freez without any respond to mouse or keyboard (I could not jumpo to TTY, only if I'm connect to the box through ssh I could do a reboot. Nothing else work!!)
any help on this or how to troubleshoot!
Keep it Simple. Simple is Secure, Simple is Beautiful.

Reply #12
which kernel you use?

hmmm. sudo openrc-shutdown -p now works as expected, so problem must be on your side

Reply #13
which kernel you use?

hmmm. sudo openrc-shutdown -p now works as expected, so problem must be on your side

I use 5.9.14-artix1-1 kernel. I don't the problem is with kernel, I saw this problem with LTS kernel also.

I'm confused, I do know how to troubleshoot shutdown process. any suggestions?
Keep it Simple. Simple is Secure, Simple is Beautiful.