Skip to main content
Topic: A big Thank You! (Read 894 times) previous topic - next topic

A big Thank You!

I have never had any good experiences with systemd. Standard laptops that worked for years without a hitch started to have a ton of issues when their Linux Distro (Mint, Manjaro) moved to the dark side. No working standby, minutes to boot, hardware issues and more.

At the same time, many tried and proven Unix concepts were thrown overboard and in Borg-like fashion, almost all of the Linux world was infected by the Pöttering disease. I am just waiting for kerneld and desktopd to complete the picture here.

Manjaro-OpenRC and Artix came to the rescue, all of the desktops the family needs for work have been migrated to Artix. And while upgrading a rolling distro remains a bit of an adventure, Artix has been rock-stable in operation. I pair Artix with FreeBSD on firewall and servers (home and work).

For keeping Linux usable, a big THANK YOU. To add a more practical and useful aspect to my words, I just sent a €40 donation by PayPal - and I hope that more users will donate to the project.

Re: A big Thank You!

Reply #1
Nice statement. but:

Lo and behold! it's going to be worse. Much worse:
They (the bad) are really intending to put /home into a systemd module or service. That will be the time to ditch all systems that are not Artix, Devuan, Slackware, Antix, MX, or one of the BSDs.

Do you know the statement, things are so low now they can't possibly go lower? Usually it DOES go lower. Down down down... the drain.

Re: A big Thank You!

Reply #2
Manjaro-OpenRC and Artix came to the rescue, all of the desktops the family needs for work have been migrated to Artix. And while upgrading a rolling distro remains a bit of an adventure, Artix has been rock-stable in operation. I pair Artix with FreeBSD on firewall and servers (home and work).
We use Artix on all our infrastructure, the build server, forum/wiki/www, download server and our mail server too. In fact, our mail server ran for almost a year after setup without a hiccup, before we moved to a better VPS thanks to our community's financial support.

For keeping Linux usable, a big THANK YOU. To add a more practical and useful aspect to my words, I just sent a €40 donation by PayPal - and I hope that more users will donate to the project.
This is greatly appreciated, as usual it's saved for covering our servers' running costs.