Skip to main content
Topic: Beginner troubles with pacman update and the configuration of a LTE modem. (Read 1110 times) previous topic - next topic

Beginner troubles with pacman update and the configuration of a LTE modem.

Hello !

I am new to Artix Linux (did not use Linux for a very long time) and run in some troubles. I tried the lxqt-runit / -openrc and the plasma-community edition from the download page. I experienced that the lxqt-runit / -openrc (including the gremlin version) randomly freezes the machine at shutdown and reboot but it is not reproduceable which is not really a problem as I used for some days a installation of the plasma-community edition.

My first problem is, if I run pacman -Syu (followed the suggestions at first run) after the installation, I get at the integrity check of the packages the error, that 4 packages (IIRC mypaint) can´t be checked (plasma-community edition) and in the lxqt-runit / -openrc edition that 1 key (IIRC qpdfview) is deactivated. In booth cases a update was not possible (some days before I had no problem in the plasma-community edition to update the system). How can I run pacman to install only the already downloaded packages where the integrity check was passed and, how I fix the key problems ?

The second thing is, I can use in the lxqt-runit / -openrc edition a LTE modem (m.2 Sierra EM7345). During boot it is basically configured for the carrier. After running the assistent to configure it, I can use it without problems. My question is now, how can I configure the LTE modem in the plasma-community or the gremlin version as the GUI is very different ?

Thanks for help.

Re: Beginner troubles with pacman update and the configuration of a LTE modem.

Reply #1
1. Try to first update archlinux-keyring package
Code: [Select]
pacman -Sy archlinux-keyring
and than update normally (seems like classic Arch error)

2. That is matter of GUI which I am not very familiar with, I would suggest to use same GUI (was it connman or networkmanager now?)

Reply #2
Thanks for your answer. Sorry for the delay but my connection yesterday was not that fast to download the updates again on a clean install.

1.) Yes, updating archlinux-keyring helps in booth cases. On the plasma edition without any action, on the lxqt-runit edition with deleting /etc/artix-release (which only contains the text - artix release).

2.) networkmanager with the KDE applet. I found some articles about this medoems to try out (just installed modemmanager, mobile-broadbad-provider-info and nm-connection-editor but did not try the rest - was to late yesterday).

BTW after updateing the machine I have also the random freezes at shutdown. As it is a ThinkPad W541 with nVidia optimus and I don´t have the machine here, I will post later informations using inxi.

Reply #3
I had no luck with the modem using the plasma-community edition and will use the lxqt edition and install plasma or something else as the modem already works.

Beside that, the machine freezes randomly (at restart, shutdown, after screenlock ... ). But not during boot or login.

Code: [Select]
 inxi -Fxzmc0
System:    Host: ThinkPad Kernel: 5.4.10-artix1-1 x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc v: 9.2.0
           Desktop: KDE Plasma 5.17.5 Distro: Artix rolling
Machine:   Type: Laptop System: LENOVO product: 20EFS00B00 v: ThinkPad W541 serial: <filter>
           Mobo: LENOVO model: 20EFS00B00 serial: <filter> UEFI [Legacy]: LENOVO v: GNET92WW (2.40 )
           date: 08/23/2019
Battery:   ID-1: BAT0 charge: 89.4 Wh condition: 93.0/99.5 Wh (94%) model: LGC 45N1153 status: Unknown
Memory:    RAM: total: 30.99 GiB used: 708.8 MiB (2.2%)
           RAM Report: missing: Required program dmidecode not available
CPU:       Topology: Quad Core model: Intel Core i7-4810MQ bits: 64 type: MT MCP arch: Haswell rev: 3
           L2 cache: 6144 KiB
           flags: lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx bogomips: 44718
           Speed: 998 MHz min/max: 800/3800 MHz Core speeds (MHz): 1: 986 2: 962 3: 996 4: 1166 5: 1067 6: 1027
           7: 1189 8: 1114
Graphics:  Device-1: Intel 4th Gen Core Processor Integrated Graphics driver: i915 v: kernel bus ID: 00:02.0
           Device-2: NVIDIA GK106GLM [Quadro K2100M] driver: nouveau v: kernel bus ID: 01:00.0
           Display: x11 server: X.org 1.20.6 driver: intel,nouveau unloaded: fbdev,modesetting,vesa
           resolution: <xdpyinfo missing>
           OpenGL: renderer: Mesa DRI Intel Haswell Mobile v: 4.5 Mesa 19.3.2 direct render: Yes
Audio:     Device-1: Intel Xeon E3-1200 v3/4th Gen Core Processor HD Audio driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel
           bus ID: 00:03.0
           Device-2: Intel 8 Series/C220 Series High Definition Audio driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel
           bus ID: 00:1b.0
           Device-3: NVIDIA GK106 HDMI Audio driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel bus ID: 01:00.1
           Sound Server: ALSA v: k5.4.10-artix1-1
Network:   Device-1: Intel Ethernet I217-LM driver: e1000e v: 3.2.6-k port: 5080 bus ID: 00:19.0
           IF: eth0 state: down mac: <filter>
           Device-2: Intel Wireless 7260 driver: iwlwifi v: kernel port: 4000 bus ID: 03:00.0
           IF: wlan0 state: up mac: <filter>
           IF-ID-1: wwan0 state: down mac: <filter>
Drives:    Local Storage: total: 931.51 GiB used: 9.41 GiB (1.0%)
           ID-1: /dev/sda vendor: Crucial model: CT1000MX500SSD1 size: 931.51 GiB
Partition: ID-1: / size: 915.89 GiB used: 9.41 GiB (1.0%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/dm-0
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 48.0 C mobo: 0.0 C gpu: nouveau temp: 43 C
           Fan Speeds (RPM): cpu: 1642
Info:      Processes: 235 Uptime: 2m Init: N/A rc: OpenRC v: 0.42.1 runlevel: default Compilers: gcc: 9.2.0
           clang: 9.0.1 Shell: bash v: 5.0.11 inxi: 3.0.26

Reply #4
I've got a same CPU/GPU laptop (Dell M4800 i7-4810MQ/K2100M), and had some freezes with kernel 5.4 without even using the nouveau or nvidia drivers. I actually regretted (killed an uptime of 84 days) updating from 4.20 and downgraded again a couple of days later: rock solid again, 15 days uptime and counting.

Reply #5
For me only the 4.18.12 from the plasma-community .iso works without problems. The 4.20.10 from the lxqt-gremlins .iso and the 5.4 did not ... if it is the kernel.

Reply #6
I would suggest checking if linux-lts kernel works.
The reason being it is kept up to date.

Reply #7
Yup, LTS kernels are better for peace of mind and stability.

Reply #8
Tried for some days the lts kernel which works.
Was curious too and installed the plasma edition again. Then the machine only freezes at the reboot of the live system (after installation).

As that worked now, any suggestions for the configuration of the LTE modem in the plasma edition are welcome.