Skip to main content
Topic: Need help! - computer does not boot on latest update (Read 949 times) previous topic - next topic

Need help! - computer does not boot on latest update

Hi all,
Absolutely love the iso.

but my computer does not boot on the latest update.

Please see attachment.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

kind regards,
Andrew

Re: Need help! - computer does not boot on latest update

Reply #1
Please, give some more information. Which ISO was it? Plasma? LXQt? Is the screenshot from the installed system? (looks so).
If so, use the live ISO to boot and chroot into the installed system and do in order:
1. Move haveged from existing runlevel to sysinit. Go into /etc/runlevels and run 'ls -R' to find where it is.
2. Disable syslog-ng
3. Rename /etc/rc.local to something else.

Reboot after each step and provide feedback on which step solves it.

Reply #2
I was gonna say, I suspect syslog

Reply #3
It's been confirmed that syslog-ng in the gremlins repo (testing) freezes on boot for openrc and s6 (runit is likely unaffected because it makes no attempts to do dependency chains with it). Your best bet is to chroot into the machine with a liveiso and disable it.

Reply #4
It's been confirmed that syslog-ng in the gremlins repo (testing) freezes on boot for openrc and s6 (runit is likely unaffected because it makes no attempts to do dependency chains with it). Your best bet is to chroot into the machine with a liveiso and disable it.
The problem seems to be related with syslog itself and not with its init scripts. I use custom init system at my desktop machines and in my case syslog was started after getty. This resulted in me able to login (if i'm fast enough) but after that it was impossible to login somewhere else, use sudo/doas and open some programs (like browsers except for links, pcmanfm, etc.). So, runit should be also affected
ARMtix

Reply #5
The problem seems to be related with syslog itself and not with its init scripts. I use custom init system at my desktop machines and in my case syslog was started after getty. This resulted in me able to login (if i'm fast enough) but after that it was impossible to login somewhere else, use sudo/doas and open some programs (like browsers except for links, pcmanfm, etc.). So, runit should be also affected

You're right. My statement was based on being able to login to runit with a freshly created gremlins iso, but I think it would probably freeze after a while. I was able to track down exactly what syslog-ng compile option causes this. It's the --enable-linux-caps option. I removed the bad syslog-ng package from the gremlins repo, compiled a new one with --disable-linux-caps and placed it in staging. From my testing, this version doesn't have any freezing so it should be OK. The testing repo may have some minor breakage but freezing on boot is a bit too much. ;)