Skip to main content
Topic solved
This topic has been marked as solved and requires no further attention.
Topic: [SOLVED] CUPS internal server error on s6 spin (Read 1114 times) previous topic - next topic

[SOLVED] CUPS internal server error on s6 spin

Hi :)

On a quite fresh Artix Linux s6 installation I installed cups-s6. Then I started the daemon with sudo s6-rc -u change cupsd. http://localhost:631/ is accessible but on http://localhost:631/admin I get an internal server error. When I try to add a printer with print-manager I also get the internal server error.
Code: [Select]
ARTIX Dinit + SDDM + Enlightenment

Re: CUPS internal server error on s6 spin

Reply #1
Works okay here (s6 as well). I think something is up with your cups configuration. Maybe try adding yourself to the cups group and check your /etc/cups/cupsd.conf

Reply #2
Do you mean adding myself to the cups group in /etc/group?
There is no cups group in /etc/group :)
Should there be a cups group in a default/vanilla Artix installation?

Reply #3
Ah maybe it's the lp group?

I do have a cups group on my machine but I noticed that lp is part of it.

Reply #4
"Note:
* CUPS helper programs are run using the cups user and group. This allows the helper programs to access printer devices and read config files in /etc/cups/, which are owned by the cups group.
* Prior to cups 2.2.6-2, the lp group was used instead. After the upgrade, the files in /etc/cups should be owned by the cups group and User 209 and Group 209 set in /etc/cups/cups-files.conf."

Source: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/CUPS

Is  there also a cups user on your system? According to less /etc/passwd on my system there isn't.

Reply #5
Yeah, I have a cups user as well.

Reply #6
I unistalled the cups-s6 and cups packages from the Artix repositories and installed cups-nosystemd from AUR instead. Then I started CUPS simply with sudo cupsd. Now miraculously everything works – I was able to access the admin instance of CUPS and added my printer although there was no CUPS user or group added by the installer. All the files in /etc/cups are now automatically part of the lp group.

Honestly I got the impression that there is something wrong with the official cups package from the Artix repository.

Reply #7
Oh wait, perhaps you were bit by the opensysusers bug? I don't remember which users and groups opensysusers makes, but it did create the dbus user so I think it's likely it also created the cups one. Anyway, 0.6.1 was discovered to not create certain users for some reason so it had to be downgraded. Maybe the ISO you used had opensysusers 0.6.1?

Reply #8
Yup. I had opensysusers 0.6-1 installed. I downgraded it now and installed the official cups-s6. Everything works.  :D

Thank you for your help!