Skip to main content
Topic: No Network When Boot 20200210 S6 ISO (Read 1626 times) previous topic - next topic

No Network When Boot 20200210 S6 ISO

Hi.

Apologies for evidencing my ignorance but I would appreciate any help/insight here... After trying the earlier Test ISO given I like Cinnamon and wanted to explore S6 (the lack of a readily available Cinnamon build of Obarun for idiots like me ruled that out..) I have discovered the latest Official build renders me with the same problem as before.

Despite the NetworkManager Applet purportedly being active, it does not appear in the Panel, except when I deactivate that, which renders it then inaccessible were one to try and manually input/edit a connection..

Whether this is related, I see Connman-GTK among the list of Startup Applications..

Either way for the life of me I cannot divine a method of setting up WiFi. Can confirm my Device is detected and loaded by the Kernel but iwconfig/iw list doesn't accomplish anything, nor wifi-menu.

Again, the above should confirm my novice chops here with something this rudimentary but could anyone please provide me a steer on how to get WiFi working so I can actually install this thing!

Cheers.

Stu

Re: No Network When Boot 20200210 S6 ISO

Reply #1
I don't use NetworkManager myself, so I'm not sure of the particular details. However, the Cinnamon ISO does come with NetworkManager and the init script and the daemon should be running correctly on startup. So at that point, it's up to you to setup a wireless connection. I don't know what GUIs are available or anything like that, but it should be possible to make a connection with nmcli.

Reply #3
Go to the system settings menu, and from there go into Applets. In there, make sure the System Tray applet is active. I've had a situation where after a fresh install it was off by default, and it's needed to show the NetworkManager applet, among other things.

Reply #4
I said I was an idiot.. When calling nmcli kept getting the mantra re NetworkManager not being available.. Dipped my toe into some of the S6 docs to see if could restart the service, that didn't get me anywhere. Out of desperation, and convinced this was the first thing that I'd tried previously, ran 'sudo NetworkManager'.. Boom, all good :-)

Cheers.

Stu

Reply #5
I said I was an idiot.. When calling nmcli kept getting the mantra re NetworkManager not being available.. Dipped my toe into some of the S6 docs to see if could restart the service, that didn't get me anywhere. Out of desperation, and convinced this was the first thing that I'd tried previously, ran 'sudo NetworkManager'.. Boom, all good :-)

Cheers.

Stu

Restarting a s6 service: s6-rc -d change SERVICE then s6-rc -u change SERVICE

Reply #6
Possibly if you have to run Network Manager with sudo there is some group you should be in, ie wheel / network / rfkill or something.
The process is described here although those groups aren't mentioned, perhaps it was written by someone who uses ethernet.  ;D
https://wiki.artixlinux.org/Main/Configuration