Skip to main content
Topic: linux-ck + openrc + nvidia-dkms wont start Xorg (Read 1663 times) previous topic - next topic

linux-ck + openrc + nvidia-dkms wont start Xorg

my problem is basically the same as [SOLVED] X won't start with proprietary Nvidia driver but with 1 key difference, I am using linux-ck-ivybridge kernel + nvidia-dkms, and the user in the previous thread solved his problem by pacman -S world/nvidia ... I can't do that, as ck is a custom kernel and requires dkms for nvidia to work .. here is my xorg log ... I find this problem very strage, as I was happily using linux-ck-ivybridge or linux-ck in general on artix with nvidia-dkms, then i formated to make a dual boot system because I wanted to play a little Fallout New Vegas (i know i can run it on steam and proton, but I can't mod it properly, at least not with MO2 as it requires WIndows VFS), and then I installed artix again with a 5-6 day delay from the format and install of Windows, and I can't boot in to my system :-/ I should note, that on the artix default kernel my system boots and xorg starts, and also that with the linux-ck kernel without the nvidia-dkms driver Xorg also starts, I have tried the nomodeset kernel paramater, it doesn't help... which made me wonder if it was a problem with the kernel, so I switched back to Arch, installed linux-ck, nvidia-dkms, and gues what? Xorg starts ...

Can anyone help me out with this? thanks

Re: linux-ck + openrc + nvidia-dkms wont start Xorg

Reply #1
What's the error output when you try to install nvidia-dkms?

Reply #2
Problem is probably here :

artix kernel are bind and compiled with artix gcc.
if you use our gcc, and archlinux prebuild kernel, the nvidia dkms module build will fail, because another gcc expected (error: gcc incompatible)

if you compile Linux-ck self, with our gcc, nvidia dkms build should be never fail.

that was for example reason, why we must import linux-zen, because from archlinux is zen kernel now incompatible with our gcc (dkms build fails).

Reply #3
@nous the nvidia-dkms installs properly, but I X won't start, and gives the above error that is in the log that i posted ...

@alium i will try your suggestion but honestly I find that very strange, just 10 days ago, linux-ck prebuilt for Arch, was working perfectly fine on Artix .... Like i said i had to reinstall because I had to setup a dual boot system, and after a fresh artix install it stopped working

Reply #4
@alium i will try your suggestion but honestly I find that very strange, just 10 days ago, linux-ck prebuilt for Arch, was working perfectly fine on Artix .... Like i said i had to reinstall because I had to setup a dual boot system, and after a fresh artix install it stopped working

yes, but gcc-9.2.1+20200130 changed all
i has same problem with linux-zen.... until newest version of gcc worked linux-zen kernel from archlinux good. but artix gcc have another signature as archlinux now, and cause incompatibility

Code: [Select]
II) LoadModule: "nouveau"
[    25.489] (WW) Warning, couldn't open module nouveau
[    25.489] (EE) Failed to load module "nouveau" (module does not exist, 0)
[    25.489] (II) LoadModule: "nv"
[    25.489] (WW) Warning, couldn't open module nv
[    25.489] (EE) Failed to load module "nv" (module does not exist, 0)

you have evident no driver installed.... so probably is driver not properly installed

pacman -S nvidia-dkms and reinstall kernel for your actual kernel

try our linux-zen ;-)

Reply #5
naah bro, the driver is properly installed, I'm a Arch user for 2 years now and regarding that part I know what im doing ... and no I won't try the Linux-zen kernel as Linux-ck rules, at least for my own hardware ^^ I will try to build the linux-ck from the AUR instead of using a prebuilt binary this weekend when I have the time to bother with it and will report back to you

Reply #6
with your own prebuild ck kernel should be dkms not fail