Skip to main content
Topic: NVIDIA drivers won't load Artix s6 Plasma (Read 1185 times) previous topic - next topic

NVIDIA drivers won't load Artix s6 Plasma

Hello, I'm having some trouble with nvidia drivers.
So, a few days ago, I tested Artix s6 Plasma in a partition separate from my main os with making sure nvidia drivers work being one of my main goals. They did with no trouble- I did
Code: [Select]
pacman -S nvidia
, rebooted, and video decoding, opengl, etc. all worked fine with nvidia. Fast foward a few days- I've decided I want to replace my main operating system with Artix s6. I do so, however, this time I use Octopi to install nvidia drivers. Now, for some reason, this just made a giant mess of an issue. Not only did the drivers not load despite being installed (mesa, video decoding, opengl, etc. still used intel after reboot), removing all related nvidia packaged and reinstalling could accomplish nothing. I've tried using only the world repository, only the extra, nvidia-lts, and manually installing the .run form of the driver to no avail. My most recent attempt was to install nvidia-dkms, and it gives me a makelog with errors towards the bottom to potentially work with:
Code: [Select]
cc1: error: incompatible gcc/plugin versions
cc1: error: fail to initialize plugin ./scripts/gcc-plugins/structleak_plugin.so
cc1: error: fail to initialize plugin ./scripts/gcc-plugins/structleak_plugin.so
make[2]: *** [scripts/Makefile.build:266: /var/lib/dkms/nvidia/440.64/build/nvidia/nv-pci.o] Error 1
make[2]: *** [scripts/Makefile.build:266: /var/lib/dkms/nvidia/440.64/build/nvidia/nv-cray.o] Error 1
make[2]: *** [scripts/Makefile.build:266: /var/lib/dkms/nvidia/440.64/build/nvidia/nv-acpi.o] Error 1
make[2]: *** [scripts/Makefile.build:266: /var/lib/dkms/nvidia/440.64/build/nvidia/nv-i2c.o] Error 1
make[2]: *** [scripts/Makefile.build:266: /var/lib/dkms/nvidia/440.64/build/nvidia/nv-dma.o] Error 1
make[2]: *** [scripts/Makefile.build:266: /var/lib/dkms/nvidia/440.64/build/nvidia/nv-mempool.o] Error 1
make[1]: *** [Makefile:1693: /var/lib/dkms/nvidia/440.64/build] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory '/usr/lib/modules/5.5.8-artix1-1/build'
make: *** [Makefile:81: modules] Error 2
Would this mean I need to downgrade my installed version of gcc to match nvidia's? How?
I hope I can fix this, as I've had no other minor or major issues and like this os in general.

Re: NVIDIA drivers won't load Artix s6 Plasma

Reply #1
It should be noted I also attempted to reinstall Artix and install like I thought I did previously to no avail. Maybe there's a really recent package causing the issue.

Reply #2
NVIDIA is always a pain to deal with. Yeah the first error means that the gcc used for nvidia-dkms and the kernel don't match so it doesn't work.

I think there's currently a mismatch between nvidia versions and kernel versions (checking Arch real quick, they seem to be slightly ahead of us). Hopefully when everything else gets updated again, it'll all get sorted out. Sorry about that. While I don't recommend using any graphical frontend for package management, I don't think it had anything to do with it. I think you just had the bad luck of mismatched gcc for nvidia-dkms + the kernel and mismatched nvidia + kernel versions. Probably when you first originally tested, everything was on matching versions and later updates broke it.

Reply #3
NVIDIA is always a pain to deal with. Yeah the first error means that the gcc used for nvidia-dkms and the kernel don't match so it doesn't work.

I think there's currently a mismatch between nvidia versions and kernel versions (checking Arch real quick, they seem to be slightly ahead of us). Hopefully when everything else gets updated again, it'll all get sorted out. Sorry about that. While I don't recommend using any graphical frontend for package management, I don't think it had anything to do with it. I think you just had the bad luck of mismatched gcc for nvidia-dkms + the kernel and mismatched nvidia + kernel versions. Probably when you first originally tested, everything was on matching versions and later updates broke it.
Thank you. Should I just wait for the mismatch to be solved then? Or is there something to do in the meantime? Maybe I could install nvidia drivers before updating on a fresh install.  Maybe I could install an older version of the nvidia driver somehow.

Reply #4
Thank you. Should I just wait for the mismatch to be solved then? Or is there something to do in the meantime? Maybe I could install nvidia drivers before updating on a fresh install.  Maybe I could install an older version of the nvidia driver somehow.

Yeah you can just wait it out. New versions of nvidia and the kernel were pushed to the gremlins repo (the testing one) just now (you could enable them if you're brave but be careful). Hopefully they'll be available in stable soon.

Reply #5
Okay. Well, I was brave and enabled gremlins. nvidia-dkms installed without the make error once I updated my kernel. However, nvidia still didn't load upon reboot :/
Do you have any other suggestions? I noticed nvidia-utils are still behind in stable repositories, not gremlins. Could that be part of it? I'm guessing these issues will just automatically resolve once the packages are stable.

Reply #6
what say /var/log/Xorg.0.log?