Skip to main content
Topic: Remove Unmaintained Zeitgeist (Spyware/Telemetry) from Default MATE installation (Read 702 times) previous topic - next topic

Remove Unmaintained Zeitgeist (Spyware/Telemetry) from Default MATE installation

Hi,

It came to my attention that in default installation there's that ehm... spyware called Zeitgeist. Its present in MATE ver. with OpenRC. Its unmaintained for a long time and it is not necessary to have it. Your version of Midori seems not to require it. So please nuke it. I did $ pacman -Rdd zeitgeist and it went smoothly. Midor still works. So its not necessary in default. Send it to a black whole in the default installation. I do not like it nor need it. Hate those spyware/metrics/recorders whaever I do, whatever I click, whatever website I visit has to be recorded. No nothing has to be recorded. Privicy.  Nuke it from default installation iso.

Thank you.

Re: Remove Unmaintained Zeitgeist (Spyware/Telemetry) from Default MATE installation

Reply #1
Yes, it's midori that pulls zeitgeist in. This is not (yet) our package (it's from Arch/[community]) and there had been a bug report at Arch bugtracker for an older version which was honoured. Not sure how it has crept back in.