Skip to main content
Topic: we provide ungoogled-chromium for Artixlinux  (Read 13739 times) previous topic - next topic

we provide ungoogled-chromium for Artixlinux

Hi,
for Artix we provide ungoogled-chromium.
This package is no longer provided from our [community] repository, but from our anoother repo called "universe". You need to add the following to /etc/pacman.conf:

Code: [Select]
[universe]
Server = https://universe.artixlinux.org/$arch

You can compile the same package yourself from AUR, who does not want to compile 6.3 GB of source code for several hours, can use this one from our repo.

Re: we provide ungoogled-chromium for Artixlinux

Reply #1
I was wondering why it was that my computer was telling me it was suddenly a foreign package. Why isn't it in the normal official repos anymore?

Reply #2
Would be nice to have it ready in Aritix repo. I use FF but, it would be nice to have it ready to go in under 4min.

Reply #3
I was wondering why it was that my computer was telling me it was suddenly a foreign package. Why isn't it in the normal official repos anymore?

Because we have limited server hosting.
Running our own server and internet connection is just too much expensive and our project is 'non-profit'. We are glad that a nice sponsor provide with us a part of the server as a sponsorship gift, but the space and performance is not unlimited.

Just the source after unpacking chromium have more than 6GB and the compilation takes several hours depending on how good your CPU is.

We just decided that it is not a critical application, and therefore may not necessarily be in artixlinux.

As I wrote above, ungoogled-chromium is compiled by me for Artixlinux (and for me because I use it as my main browser - ungoogled and with VAAPI support) and I am willing to share it to save others time.

I wanted to know what the interest would be. In the next release, I can/will sign it with my artixlinux's key.

Reply #4
I definitely appreciate you giving us the option to still install a pre-compiled package and I do prefer it to normal chromium. Unfortunate that the server was reaching its limits, I forget that package maintainers aren't all a distro needs. :'(

Reply #5
Hi,
for Artix we provide ungoogled-chromium.
This package is no longer provided from our [community] repository, but you need to add the following to /etc/pacman.conf:
We'll setup a new server for building an hosting "non-mainstream" packages soon, for use by the packagers.

Reply #6
we again officially provide ungoogled-chromium!

you need add to pacman.conf our NEW repo:

Code: [Select]
[universe]
Server = https://universe.artixlinux.org/$arch

Reply #7
updated to 83.0.4103.116

Reply #8
for me works good. try it with new profile

rename old chromium profile in ./config and run it with new clear profile. What have you for processor?

Reply #9
Yes , you are right,  with clean profile works.
maybe same extensions  are in conflict with ungoogled... I'll tested.

Reply #10
We'll setup a new server for building an hosting "non-mainstream" packages soon, for use by the packagers.
It works perfect , i am new here and i love artix , i use the brave as my first but i also like the  ungoogled-chromium .
Greetings

Reply #11
Yeah it just needs a rebuild with re2. That will take some time unfortunately given how difficult compiling the modern browser is.

Reply #12
Is it just me or this build misses VA-API support? Please, please include VA-API support in these builds!

Reply #13
updated to 83.0.4103.116-2 (added some patches and rebuild with new re2). VAAPI support is enabled, but must be allow in browser's config. see archlinux wiki about chromium

Reply #14
updated to 83.0.4103.116-2 (added some patches and rebuild with new re2). VAAPI support is enabled, but must be allow in browser's config. see archlinux wiki about chromium

HI. I've just updated and everything is working right now. Thank you very much.
Artix Linux Colombia