Skip to main content
Topic: VLC Collects Too Much Data (Privacy) (Read 2783 times) previous topic - next topic

VLC Collects Too Much Data (Privacy)

Hello Everyone,

I don't use VLC , I use mpv+Smplayer (and set it up to use VAAPI ), so I should care less, but since VLC is by far the most used media player out there, maybe someone should look what data this software collects. Because it collects data about your played media (hashes?, timestamps?) that you have on your HDD.

I am not trying to be paranoid, but by default VLC collects data (I turned it off) and does not explain what kind of. This  is called "Collect miscellaneous local statistic about the playing media".  (See screenshot). Giving the fact that more and more software collect data/telemetry/statistics, whatever PR name they call it, I'd rather nothing is collected. Not that MPAA would get the hashes, because they wouldn't - I don't have any of copyrighted crap (got VOD), but still.

Re: VLC Collects Too Much Data (Privacy)

Reply #1
Would probably be best to ask upstream about disabling this?

Reply #2
Hello,

If you want to change some default configuration it is best to ask Archlinux packagers because VLC is pulled from Arch repositories.

If you want to know more about the spy feature it would be best to either ask VLC developers or do your own research.

Thank you for telling us about this behaviour.

PS: I use mplayer.

Reply #3
I would think that just keeps track of basic stuff like how many times you've played a song and things of that nature. Based on the name, it doesn't sound like an option that actually sends telemetry anywhere.

Reply #4
I wouldn't worry that much about vlc, as long as you carry a tracking device with you, aka mobile phone, vlc is the least of the surveillance problem.

Reply #5
I wouldn't worry that much about vlc, as long as you carry a tracking device with you, aka mobile phone, vlc is the least of the surveillance problem.
Every bit counts.

Reply #6
~/.config/vlc/vlcrc

Code: [Select]
# Locally collect statistics (boolean)
stats=0
locally_collect_statistic_off.png

# Locally collect statistics (boolean)
stats=1
locally_collect_statistic_on.png

Эти boolean boolean присутствуют давно.  В gui видимо появилось недавно.

Если можно конкретно как эти данные собираются? Как и куда отправляются и где это можно увидеть?
# netstat
# ss
Я пользуюсь vlc уже давно.
Извините, что пишу по-русски.

Reply #7
Он использует этот файл
.config/vlc/vlc-qt-interface.conf

Reply #8
Он использует этот файл
.config/vlc/vlc-qt-interface.conf
Кто он?
Грубо говоря, vlc-qt-interface.conf нужен только для графического оформления окна vlc.