Skip to main content
Topic: Improving Out of The Box Experience by Eliminating Misconfigurations and Errors (Read 783 times) previous topic - next topic

Improving Out of The Box Experience by Eliminating Misconfigurations and Errors

Hi,

Not everyone is so knowledgable to know all the nooks and crannies to know all possible libraries. The user will only see that video thumbnalis in Dolphin are missing. And so are thumbnails of webp in Dolphin. The  common user will also notice that Gwenview can't display .webp images.

My strong sugesstion is to include ffmpegthumbs and qt5-imageformats libraries out of the box in Artix KDE. Thank you.

Reply #1

Hello

Thank you for your patience and explaining various stuff. I would like Artix to be perfect. Hence the post. Its a great distro that I want to become my default. Fewer errors by default, fewer paper cuts, improvements out of the box, etc. and Artix will kick ass of Manjaro and Ubuntu.

So far, by testing, I have learned a few things and discoverd with your help a few bugs, glitches, errors and paper-cuts. This post is a summery of what could be done to avoid them in order to give new users (and those coming from Manjaro, Ubuntu etc) a better experience. I understand they may not know all little details and missing libraries. Instead out of the box they will see errors and will badmouth Artix. I don't want that to happen, so I post here a little summery of the bugs that can be easily avoided in Artix ISOs.

I Artix LxQt iso:

1. Midori pulls zeitgeist
2. Midori has a nasty bug, so you cannot type "/" in the address bar

Solution:
By default use Qt Falkon (it uses qtwebengine) exactly as in Artix KDE

3. .webp and arithmetically coded photos are not displayed in LxQt (Lximage-qt and PCManFM-qt thumbnails).

Solution:

By default include qt5-imageformats (how many users would know what to install to have good experience? They are going to badmouth Artix and say Ubuntu or Manjaro is better)

4. Compton does not start from menu. Compton starts only from terminal  but gives the whole page of nasty errors, nobody understands why. Arch (Artix upstream) does not use compton, but "picom"

Solution:
By default include whatever Arch uses, in this case "picom" to avoid nasty errors and application not starting from the menu.

5.Default Artix LxQt ISO has an unnecessary GTK app, i.e. Xarchiver, while LxQt 0.15 has its own qt archiver.

Solution:
By default include LxQt archiver (qt) in LxQt ISO and do not include GTK Xarchiver.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
II Artix MATE iso:

1. Midori pulls zeitgeist
2. Midori has a nasty bug, so you cannot type "/" in the address bar

Solution:
By default use GTK Firefox exactly as in Ubuntu/Manjaro or Firefox ESR

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

III Artix KDE iso:

1. Thumbnails of videos are not displayed by default in Dolphin

Solution: By default include "ffmpegthumsb", so Dolphin displays video thumbnails (new users do not have to hunt what the hell is wrong with Artix- even if its not default thing of KDE or Arch - people will only say Artix sucks).

2. .webp and arithmetically coded photos are not displayed in KDE (Gwenview and Dolphin cannot display images and thumbnails).

Solution:
By default include qt5-imageformats (how many users would know what to install to have a good experience? They are going to badmouth Artix and say Ubuntu or Manjaro is better)

3. Artix KDE ISO contains unnecessary GTK software, i.e. Xarchiver. It should not be there, because KDE has its own tools that integrate into right click/services of Dolphin. All can be done with right click in Dolphin (including with root privilages). This GTK does not suite KDE at all. Its called ArK

Solution:
By default include whatever KDE has (in this case ArK), but not GTK apps (here: Xarchiver), which is a complete unnecessary app and is foreign to Qt KDE and its services and integration.

Feel free to add to this list. Thank you for your patience. I hope that with this list and changes Artix will be closer to perfection and will dethrone Ubuntu and Manjaro (why not ?! :D ).

Re: Improving Out of The Box Experience by Eliminating Misconfigurations and Errors

Reply #2
This is good report, thanks. Except midori, all else has been incorporated, expect them with the next batch of weekly ISOs.

Re: Improving Out of The Box Experience by Eliminating Misconfigurations and Errors

Reply #3
Thank you very much.