Skip to main content
Topic solved
This topic has been marked as solved and requires no further attention.
Topic: [SOLVED] opentmp-files failed to start (Read 1216 times) previous topic - next topic

[SOLVED] opentmp-files failed to start

I am getting the following error while booting,

Code: [Select]
ERROR: opentmp-files failed to start

However, the boot process doesn't stall and my system works file for my normal work (DB, development etc.,)

I ma running
artik 5.4.38-1
kernel and my system is up to date at the time of posting.

Could someone shed some light as to what is this and why is it fails? and How can I mitigate this?

Thanks in advance.
Andromedan

Re: opentmp-files failed to start

Reply #1
I am getting the following error while booting,

However, the boot process doesn't stall and my system works file for my normal work (DB, development etc.,)

I ma running
artik 5.4.38-1
kernel and my system is up to date at the time of posting.

Could someone shed some light as to what is this and why is it fails? and How can I mitigate this?

Thanks in advance.

After surfing, I have learnt that it is an utility to process systemd-type tmpfiles.d. Now I am wondering how to check which application has got it installed as a dependency? Any suggestion/help would be much appreciated.
Andromedan

Reply #2
hi, i am dont know, what is artik 5.4.38, maybe our kernel? package with name artik don't exist!

this provide our package 
opentmpfiles

see
pacman -Si opentmpfiles

and its starts at boot:
see

rc-status boot

put here your fstab please:
 cat /etc/fstab

Reply #3
Yes you're correct. It is kernel.

rc-status boot
~~> rc-status boot
Runlevel: boot
 hwclock                                                                                            [  started  ]
 modules                                                                                            [  started  ]
 fsck                                                                                               [  started  ]
 root                                                                                               [  started  ]
 mtab                                                                                               [  started  ]
 swap                                                                                               [  started  ]
 localmount                                                                                         [  started  ]
 urandom                                                                                            [  started  ]
 hostname                                                                                           [  started  ]
 sysctl                                                                                             [  started  ]
 bootmisc                                                                                           [  started  ]
 net.lo                                                                                             [  started  ]
 termencoding                                                                                       [  started  ]
 keymaps                                                                                            [  started  ]
 procfs                                                                                             [  started  ]
 save-keymaps                                                                                       [  started  ]
 binfmt                                                                                             [  started  ]
 loopback                                                                                           [  started  ]
 save-termencoding                                                                                  [  started  ]
 opentmpfiles-setup                                                                                 [  stopped  ]
 elogind                                                                                            [  started  ]
 opensysusers                                                                                       [  started  ]

fstab:
# Static information about the filesystems.
# See fstab(5) for details.

# <file system> <dir> <type> <options> <dump> <pass>
# /dev/sda2 UUID=xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
LABEL=ROOT          /         ext4      rw,relatime 0 1

# /dev/sda3 UUID=xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
LABEL=HOME          /home     ext4      rw,relatime 0 2
Andromedan

Reply #4
Deleted

Reply #5
opentmp-files handles systemd style tmpfiles configured in /usr/lib/tmpfiles.d/

Reply #6
opentmp-files handles systemd style tmpfiles configured in /usr/lib/tmpfiles.d/
yes, but tmpfiles.d use  tmpfs and if not tmpfs present?
see https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Tmpfs:  Temporary files in tmpfs directories can be recreated at boot by using tmpfiles.d.

@artik:
try add to etc/fstab:
tmpfs   /tmp         tmpfs   nodev,nosuid,size=2G          0  0

and restart the computer. Maybe that help.

Reply #7
see https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Tmpfs:  Temporary files in tmpfs directories can be recreated at boot by using tmpfiles.d.

@artik:
try add to etc/fstab:

Yes, but why for such a think would you need to mount /tmp as tmpfs ?
The relevant link should be https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Systemd#Temporary_files

I think that what is happening is that there is some unsupported option in some config file in tmpfiles.d directory.
A while ago I had problem with postgresql package which had such option is the config file and opentmpfiles refused to start.
here it would be good to get some debug or verbose output from failing service or directly from script.
Without debug output the only solution I see is to try to remove all configs from tmpfiles.d and check if the service start and that add some config files and check again...

Reply #8
enabled tmpfs is always good, regardless of working or non-working opentmpfiles :)

it can be as you say.
i advise to turn on tmpfs anyway. it can't hurt anything. I try go from simpler to more complex things

Reply #9
yes, but tmpfiles.d use  tmpfs and if not tmpfs present?

@artik:
try add to etc/fstab:

Thanks for the suggestion. I have modified my fstab as suggested and rebooted the system.  However, I still get the ERROR message and my `rc-status boot` spits the following output (essentially no change)
~~> rc-status boot
Runlevel: boot
 hwclock                                                                                            [  started  ]
 modules                                                                                            [  started  ]
 fsck                                                                                               [  started  ]
 root                                                                                               [  started  ]
 mtab                                                                                               [  started  ]
 swap                                                                                               [  started  ]
 localmount                                                                                         [  started  ]
 urandom                                                                                            [  started  ]
 hostname                                                                                           [  started  ]
 sysctl                                                                                             [  started  ]
 bootmisc                                                                                           [  started  ]
 net.lo                                                                                             [  started  ]
 termencoding                                                                                       [  started  ]
 keymaps                                                                                            [  started  ]
 procfs                                                                                             [  started  ]
 save-keymaps                                                                                       [  started  ]
 binfmt                                                                                             [  started  ]
 loopback                                                                                           [  started  ]
 save-termencoding                                                                                  [  started  ]
 opentmpfiles-setup                                                                                 [  stopped  ]
 elogind                                                                                            [  started  ]
 opensysusers                                                                                       [  started  ]

Now I have upgraded my kernel to `5.4.40-1-lts` but still the problem persists indicating this is nothing to do with kernel and to do with some package that needs systemd as dependency.

How can I figure out which application needs this package? Any other suggestions?
Andromedan

Reply #10
Run this command and post the output here:
tmpfiles --exclude-prefix=/dev --boot --create --remove --verbose --dry-run
This is the command use by the opentmpfiles-setup "/etc/init.d/opentmpfiles-setup"
I added --verbose for more details and --dry-run to only simulate things.

Reply #12
Hi all,

The error doesn't appear anymore during the boot process after the recent update. Thanks all for the suggestion and help.
Andromedan

Reply #13
please marke this as solved. thx.