Skip to main content
Topic: Artix Linux installation LUKS + LVM issues. (Read 1583 times) previous topic - next topic

Artix Linux installation LUKS + LVM issues.

Hello everyone, i have tried for the past 4 days to install Artix with Luks and LVM, as i have already done it in Arch Linux i thought it would be easy. I ended up being so desperate that i followed by the letter 5 different install tutorials, none of them worked for me on Artix.

The last guide i followed was this one: https://www.pavelkogan.com/2014/05/23/luks-full-disk-encryption/
But it always leads me to the following error after a reboot:

GRUB loading.
Welcome to GRUB!

error: disk 'lvmid/{random}/{random}' not found.
Entering rescue mode...
grub rescue>

As i said i followed this tutorial exactly by the letter and i already succeeded in the past to do such things on Arch Linux, so i am feeling clueless right now. Do you have any idea of what i may be doing wrong?

For the information, this is a base install of Artix with Runit and for Runit in mind.

Thank you for reading this.

Re: Artix Linux installation LUKS + LVM issues.

Reply #1
I've actually done the exact same guide on runit before so I can assure you it works. :P

Judging from the error message, it looks like it opened the encrypted block fine however something went wrong when trying to find the lvm device. Are you absolutely sure whatever you called your lvm devices and your fstab and so on are configured correctly?

Reply #2
Well, since i did exactly what this guide told me to do i don't see why it would fail.
Eventhough i have to admit i do not verify the result of:

Code: [Select]
fstabgen -U /mnt >>/mnt/etc/fstab

Is it possible that the problem lies here?

I can always send the whole list of commands i use in order to do the install if that helps.

Reply #3
I followed by the letter 5 different install tutorials, none of them worked for me on Artix

Here's a thread with my experiences and a link to a guaranteed working tutorial for Artix - Full Disk Encryption for a new install: force GRUB to ask a passphrase for LUKS? I've resolved a few problems I've encountered, and will continue posting my findings there  ;)

Reply #4
Here's a thread with my experiences and a link to a guaranteed working tutorial for Artix - Full Disk Encryption for a new install: force GRUB to ask a passphrase for LUKS? I've resolved a few problems I've encountered, and will continue posting my findings there  ;)

I am actually relieved to know that i am not the only one struggling to get a working Artix Linux install.
We shall work together on making a good tutorial or even improving the wiki honestly.

Reply #5
I've actually done the exact same guide on runit before so I can assure you it works. :P

Judging from the error message, it looks like it opened the encrypted block fine however something went wrong when trying to find the lvm device. Are you absolutely sure whatever you called your lvm devices and your fstab and so on are configured correctly?

After doing some tests, i realized that doing

Code: [Select]
fstabgen -U /mnt >> /mnt/etc/fstab

Only create a rootfs line in /etc/fstab

I guess this is not normal right?

Reply #6
fstabgen will populate the fstab file will all currently mounted partitions
so make sure to first mount all the partitions you created, before running fstabgen
On a bended knee, or systemd, you will never live free

Reply #7
fstabgen will populate the fstab file will all currently mounted partitions
so make sure to first mount all the partitions you created, before running fstabgen

This is what i do :/

Reply #8
You definitely should have /dev/mapper and so on in your fstab. Although, if only the path to the root lvm volume is in your fstab, you should at least make it to tty.

Reply #9
I am actually relieved to know that i am not the only one struggling to get a working Artix Linux install.
We shall work together on making a good tutorial or even improving the wiki honestly.

I've resolved the last problem at this thread - https://forum.artixlinux.org/index.php/topic,1541.0.html
Now, if you'd complete a mentioned guide + my amendments, it's guaranteed to work: I've done it from scratch on two VMs already,
and ready to try it on a real machine with a coreboot+SeaBIOS opensource BIOS.

If you have UEFI, you can do it all either without some of my BIOS-related changes, or put your system to UEFI-CSM legacy mode.
UEFI is a SystemD of a BIOS world to be honest, so you wouldn't lose much by doing this. Ideally switch to coreboot though,
because - if there are hidden software backdoors in your UEFI like a Computrace - then a Full Disk Encryption could be pointless.