Skip to main content
Topic: LiveCD bug on a BIOS PC: "Installed BIOS-System on" gets stuck (Read 904 times) previous topic - next topic

LiveCD bug on a BIOS PC: "Installed BIOS-System on" gets stuck

Try to boot any Artix ISO on PC without UEFI , that SystemD of a BIOS world  ;) :
either VirtualBox/QEMU, or old PC, or - even better - any PC with an opensource coreboot BIOS with SeaBIOS payload (modern legacy-style BIOS without bloated/backdoored UEFI crap).
Then try to choose the "Installed BIOS-System on" menu entry. You'll get a black square and PC will be forever stuck on it.
Also, in that list once I saw an icon which looked like a "Menu key"

but when you press Enter when this option is selected - nothing seems to happen:
just a screen refreshes and your selection returns on "keytable=us" for some reason.
Same thing for the unselectable empty lines below and above that "Installed BIOS-System on".

If I choose "From CD/DVD/ISO: artix.x86_64" - the LiveCD boots OK and I'm able to install & use Artix,
but it would be nice if someone could fix the LiveCD problems mentioned above

Re: LiveCD bug on a BIOS PC: "Installed BIOS-System on" gets stuck

Reply #1
If you press <E> while that menu entry is highlighted, you'll see its parameters and that it's actually empty. Some day we'll fix it (i.e. remove it).

Reply #2
Try to boot any Artix ISO on PC without UEFI , that SystemD of a BIOS world  ;) :
either VirtualBox/QEMU, or old PC, or - even better - any PC with an opensource coreboot BIOS with SeaBIOS payload (modern legacy-style BIOS without bloated/backdoored UEFI crap).
Then try to choose the "Installed BIOS-System on" menu entry. You'll get a black square and PC will be forever stuck on it.
Also, in that list once I saw an icon which looked like a "Menu key"

but when you press Enter when this option is selected - nothing seems to happen:
just a screen refreshes and your selection returns on "keytable=us" for some reason.
Same thing for the unselectable empty lines below and above that "Installed BIOS-System on".

If I choose "From CD/DVD/ISO: artix.x86_64" - the LiveCD boots OK and I'm able to install & use Artix,
but it would be nice if someone could fix the LiveCD problems mentioned above

I have a similar situation:

artix-cinnamon-openrc-20200210-x86_64.iso   
artix-cinnamon-runit-20200210-x86_64.iso   
artix-cinnamon-s6-20200210-x86_64.iso   

I choose "From CD/DVD/ISO or the other option nothing happen. It noticed 30 wait till.... and then nothing happen anymore.

Lenovo T420 8gb ram

Reply #3
I have a similar situation:

artix-cinnamon-openrc-20200210-x86_64.iso   
artix-cinnamon-runit-20200210-x86_64.iso   
artix-cinnamon-s6-20200210-x86_64.iso   

I choose "From CD/DVD/ISO or the other option nothing happen. It noticed 30 wait till.... and then nothing happen anymore.

Lenovo T420 8gb ram
Please, clarify: you can't boot the live ISO? For the record, just yesterday I had to boot a very old laptop with the our community ISO and it took 3-4 minutes for the kernel to load or to get out of whatever maze of twisted little passages, all different, it was trapped before it actually booted.