Skip to main content
Topic: Hi and a question (Read 1275 times) previous topic - next topic

Hi and a question

Hello, thank you for allowing me to join the forum. I've loved Artix so far, except for a few quirks that I'm sure I'll figure out.

I've had some issues with permissions related to a firewire audio interface, but they seem to come and go.  What would be weird until I figured that out was that Audacity would work (sort of) but Reaper wouldn't.  Most of my audio work has been done with Reaper so that is a necessity for me to run it....
    But I immediately downloaded this copy of Artix OpenRC the other day and thought, this thing runs like a dream.  Like what I always imagined Linux would become... and now I've found the forum and I see why.
    I repeatedly have a problem with Pacman trying to update databases, and I tried several things including the sudo pacman -Syu.
I'm used to debian based Distros so some of  this is new to me, but I definately thought watching pacman at the command line was cool.  So... I do it... because no matter what, I can't update the computer.... and I get this

Password:

Code: [Select]
$ sudo pacman -Syu 
[sudo] password for
:: Synchronizing package databases...
 system is up to date
 world is up to date
 galaxy is up to date
 lib32 is up to date
 extra is up to date
 community is up to date
 multilib is up to date
:: Starting full system upgrade...
:: Replace geoclue2 with world/geoclue? [Y/n] n
:: Replace libwbclient with world/smbclient? [Y/n] y
:: Replace pamac with galaxy/pamac-gtk? [Y/n] y
:: Replace python-mlt with extra/mlt? [Y/n] y
resolving dependencies...
:: There are 2 providers available for libinstpatch-1.0.so=2-64:
:: Repository world
   1) libinstpatch
:: Repository extra
   2) libinstpatch

Enter a number (default=1): 1
looking for conflicting packages...
warning: removing 'intel-tbb' from target list because it conflicts with 'tbb'
:: tbb and intel-tbb are in conflict. Remove intel-tbb? [y/N] y
warning: dependency cycle detected:
warning: harfbuzz will be installed before its freetype2 dependency
warning: mesa will be installed before its libglvnd dependency
warning: usbmuxd will be installed before its libimobiledevice dependency
warning: phonon-qt5-gstreamer will be installed before its phonon-qt5 dependency
warning: lib32-mesa will be installed before its lib32-libglvnd dependency
warning: lib32-harfbuzz will be installed before its lib32-freetype2 dependency

warning: insufficient columns available for table display
Packages (

--I HAD TO REMOVE THE MIDDLE, MESSAGE LENGTH--

winetricks-20200...  1846.6 MiB  1211 KiB/s 26:02 [----------------------] 100%
(888/888) checking keys in keyring                 [----------------------] 100%
downloading required keys...
:: Import PGP key 3B94A80E50A477C7, "Jan Alexander Steffens (heftig) <[email protected]>"? [Y/n] Y
:: Import PGP key 3B94A80E50A477C7, "Jan Alexander Steffens (heftig) <[email protected]>"? [Y/n] Y
(888/888) checking package integrity               [----------------------] 100%
(888/888) loading package files                    [----------------------] 100%
(888/888) checking for file conflicts              [----------------------] 100%
error: failed to commit transaction (conflicting files)
nss: /usr/lib/p11-kit-trust.so exists in filesystem
artix-branding-base: /etc/local.d/0-process_local.d.start exists in filesystem
Errors occurred, no packages were upgraded.

So basically the same at the end... even displayed it in a window.
My other question is, for real time audio with firewire, Do I need to go to Runit?

Thanks for any help and let me know if I should move this message.
m

Re: Hi and a question

Reply #1
Regarding nss, it looks like you used a bit older ISO, check the Arch news or Artix news.

Regarding artix-base-branding package I would first make a copy (backup) of the file and used same approach as mentioned in news.

I repeatedly have a problem with Pacman trying to update databases, and I tried several things including the sudo pacman -Syu.
Can you be more specific? If you have problem with running `pacman -Sy`   the first thing I can think about is checking your mirrorlists
If you have problems downloading Artix databases (system, world, galaxy, lib32, gremlins*) check:
/etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist
If you have problems with Arch repositories (extra, community, multilib, testing*) check:
/etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist-arch
And Un/Comment some mirrors to see if there is some difference

I've had some issues with permissions related to a firewire audio interface, but they seem to come and go.  What would be weird until I figured that out was that Audacity would work (sort of) but Reaper wouldn't.  Most of my audio work has been done with Reaper so that is a necessity for me to run it....
I have no knowledge of these things. It might be worth it to create separate thread for this if noone will be able to help you here.

Reply #2
I used the current ISO from the download page. 

Reply #4
So, I did that.  Thinking amazing people have fixes for this on the fly. But.. then at the end:
 (890/890) checking keys in keyring                 [----------------------] 100%
(890/890) checking package integrity               [----------------------] 100%
(890/890) loading package files                    [----------------------] 100%
(890/890) checking for file conflicts              [----------------------] 100%

-- UPDATE--
gonna blow this distro away.  Try the next one... PlasmaRunint.

Reply #5
So, I did that.  Thinking amazing people have fixes for this on the fly. But.. then at the end:
 (890/890) checking keys in keyring                 [----------------------] 100%
(890/890) checking package integrity               [----------------------] 100%
(890/890) loading package files                    [----------------------] 100%
(890/890) checking for file conflicts              [----------------------] 100%

-- UPDATE--
gonna blow this distro away.  Try the next one... PlasmaRunint.
Do we really need to do even the smallest task for anyone?
pacman -Syyu --overwrite  /etc/local.d/0-process_local.d.start
I hoped the explanation "use same approach as mentioned in news would ring the bell"

Reply #6
Do we really need to do even the smallest task for anyone?

How about.... when we put ISO's on the release page, we make sure they update the first time its tried, then people don't have to ask what apparently to you is a stupid question.

I am now running the PLASMA.Runit version...  same error:

rror: failed to commit transaction (conflicting files)

Press any key to continue...

I realize that this is someones testbed/project.  But an operating system is something that needs to be used, not just tweaked.  I am not here to debug, but to try to use the system Artix is building to do what I want to do... ie. record from firewire in an efficient manner, as other distributions such as Ubuntu Studio have left the firewire people on the wayside.

If I can't get it to work, I delete and move on.  I feel like distro's these days are just people deciding which package they want and throwing it all together still on an ISO.  How about making sure that when you add things, you make sure they work?

Reply #7
But yeah, thanks.  Seems to have fixed the issue so far.

Reply #8
/etc/local.d/0-process_local.d.start was incorporated into artix-branding-base, but the latest weekly ISOs were built before the change, hence the conflict. The fix is trivial and the file contents are the same.

For the record, this file adds /etc/local.d scripts execution support to runit and s6, like in OpenRC.

Reply #9
Use this:
pacman -Syyu --overwrite  /etc/local.d/0-process_local.d.start --overwrite /usr/lib\*/p11-kit-trust.so

I feel like distro's these days are just people deciding which package they want and throwing it all together still on an ISO.
It was you who decided to go the easy way and use graphical installer with nice GUI all around. There is always nice working clean base ISO, use this instead but you will loose the comfort of the graphical environment.

Reply #10
I did not start with the graphical interface.  No software could be installed from the repos until that was fixed.