Skip to main content
Topic: Empty ISO (Read 1154 times) previous topic - next topic

Empty ISO

Hello to Artix community!

I have a disagreement about Artix ISO builds.
I found them so empty without reason. At least one browser and some default packages is the best way to keep the newbies here.
If someone needs a clean install will go with base iso and he never use the ready iso's.

So, my question is:

Why the dev team keeps the ISO so empty?

Thanks for your time!

Re: Empty ISO

Reply #1
Hello to Artix community!

I have a disagreement about Artix ISO builds.
I found them so empty without reason. At least one browser and some default packages is the best way to keep the newbies here.
If someone needs a clean install will go with base iso and he never use the ready iso's.

So, my question is:

Why the dev team keeps the ISO so empty?

Thanks for your time!

Hi,

The ISOs we offer as Official, are only carrying the Desktop and some elementary software , as you stated.

At our Download Page, it is clearly stipulated, that you should get the community ISOs instead of the minimal, as below:

«The community ISO images are created by individual Artix developers and come in 2 flavours: GTK and Qt. The main environment is MATE and KDE/Plasma, respectively, but they also provide LXDE and LXQt as lightweight alternatives. These images contain a complete set of applications for general desktop use, especially KDE/Plasma. They are generally well-tested but provided without official support. Recommended for users that want a fully preconfigured desktop that Just Works™ and/or are too busy to set it up themselves.»

Regards

Reply #2
Yes i understand that, but a firefox in Artix Official Iso is nessecary if someone want to test the distro.

Reply #3
In such case we shoud include w3m or lynx.

Reply #4
Yes i understand that, but a firefox in Artix Official Iso is nessecary if someone want to test the distro.
It is very easy to install whatever one may wish. What is deemed necessary by one might be just excess to another. As @linuxer mentioned, the community isos offer a more complete desktop environment. For some, a smaller iso may prove "easier" where download size is important. I think adding or taking away from an install is better left to the individual user, for the previous mentioned reason. I love to personalize my system and "make it my own" rather than have someone else decide what is "necessary". Plus it is a positive learning experience to do so.  :)

Best regards.
We should try to be kind to everyone.....we are all fighting some sort of battle.

Reply #5
Basically, if you want to go with KISS philosophy you go with base iso. So if you want to make ISO with DE pre-installed then you must make the iso functional. That is my opinion and that's why i asked! I take my answer!

Reply #6
An empty iso would not boot.  :P

On a serious note, we value choice, hence the iso  all just bring the most basic software preinstalled.
We think the user should have command over his system's needs and install what suits the purpose instead of preconfiguring a bloated system, many users by default will remove half of the software selected after install.

Reply #7
I don't think that some basic utils are a preconfigure bloated system, but i am okey with that :P

Reply #8
To be honest, I don't understand the point of the "minimal" graphical iso. We should only have base and the full on community one. There's nothing minimal about having a live desktop and graphical installer. There's way too many isos anyway, so I would be all aboard cutting the "minimal" graphical one which would cull at least a 3rd of them.

Reply #9
To be honest, I don't understand the point of the "minimal" graphical iso. We should only have base and the full on community one. There's nothing minimal about having a live desktop and graphical installer. There's way too many isos anyway, so I would be all aboard cutting the "minimal" graphical one which would cull at least a 3rd of them.

The minimal ISOs vs base, offer a ready preconfigured Desktop flavour, with small download size, so a quicker way to install Artix with Desktop ready.

It is not minimal, but is considered as, the Desktop base.

P.S. The ISOs number, is a good term to increase the User Base.