Skip to main content
Topic solved
This topic has been marked as solved and requires no further attention.
Topic: [SOLVED/PEBKAC] Reverting to Stock KDE (non Artix) and Light Websites in Falkon (Read 1601 times) previous topic - next topic

[SOLVED/PEBKAC] Reverting to Stock KDE (non Artix) and Light Websites in Falkon

THIS IS A CLEAR CASE OF USER INCOMPETENCE, WHICH COULD BE EXCUSED IF THE USER DID NOT BEHAVE LIKE A DEMANDING SPOILED BRAT. DON'T BE LIKE THEM, PLEASE. JUMP TO THE LAST POST FOR DETAILS.   --  nous

All websites in Falkon are dark and hard to read. What did you do? I don't want it.
How do I revert to stock KDE? Uninstalling the following does nothing:

1. Uninstalling artix-dark-theme does not help- Falkon still displays all websites black
2. Uninstalling artix-dark-theme gives me Kate and Kwrite inside completely dark box and I can't see any text
3. Uninstalling artix-dark-theme gives me weired artifacts in all software (gray theme in all menus in Dolphin, Kate and Kwrite and all other KDE software)
4. Uninstalling artix-desktop-presets does nothing, all bugs above are still is there
5. Uninstalling artix-qt-presets does nothing, all bugs above are still is there
6. Uninstalling artix-gtk-presets does nothing, all bugs above are still is there
7. Uninstalling all artix branding that is foundable under pacman does nothing, all bugs are still there.

Startup has qt5ct.sh  executable that is uninstallable via pacman. Its neither in my home folder under .startup nor .artix. Removing it from my Home folder does nothing either- all above bugs are still there.

Weired gray bars in all KDE apps menu are particular annoying, so is broken Kate and Kwrite (both black box bricked) and websites that do not display properly and cannot be changed to what their creator intended. Annoying as hell because everwhere is black, text is unreadable, themes are broken, and text editors Kate and Kwrite give me just a black brick box inside them. WTF?!

How do I revert to stock KDE that is standard? The one that was created by KDE e.v. I like Artix, but don't want all of these bugs! I don't want Artix to change KDE, I don't want Artix to hack all websites- I do want them standard as they were created, I do want to be able to edit text (black on white) and don't worry about uninstalling themes to be given just black box without text inside Kate and Kwrite.

I love KDE but Artix is not KDE anymore. Its a fork of KDE and I don't want it. How do I get non-forked KDE in Artix?

You broke the whole KDE. I cannot use Plasma Themes at all anymore. All is broken. I cannot browse the web because everywhere is this digusting black annoying shit, I cannot have anything unless its black. I cannot have black text on white (which has been with humankind for thousands of years), I cannot revert it because I get broken everything: all KDE apps have broken menues with these gray disgusing bars between text; text editors ar bricked with black box without any text. Just don't call Artix KDE/Plasma. It has nothing to do with KDE Plasma anymore. That is not how KDE e.v. coders created it.

Expected result:
KDE Plasma .ISO every week for KDE users/lovers with REAL KDE
Artix WHATEVER THE HELL THAT IS .ISO for yourself (keep the shit for yourself).

Re: Reverting to Stock KDE (non Artix Forked) and Light Websites in Falkon

Reply #1
I have all software that you uninstalled on my Artix Plasma OpenRC system.....my Global Theme is Artix Dark, and my Plasma Theme is Breeze Dark. I have none of the issues you are experiencing. Artix Plasma is not broken, but yours sure seems to be.  ;)

Have you tried going through all of the sections under "System Settings > Appearance" and applying "Defaults" found in lower left corner? In the "Global Theme" section also check and apply "Use desktop layout from theme".

Best regards.
We should try to be kind to everyone.....we are all fighting some sort of battle.

Reply #2
I have all software that you uninstalled on my Artix Plasma OpenRC system.....my Global Theme is Artix Dark, and my Plasma Theme is Breeze Dark. I have none of the issues you are experiencing. Artix Plasma is not broken, but yours sure seems to be.  ;)

Have you tried going through all of the sections under "System Settings > Appearance" and applying "Defaults" found in lower left corner? In the "Global Theme" section also check and apply "Use desktop layout from theme".

Best regards.

Everything is bricked on black. Black shit all over. Pease provide me with Plasma Desktop. This is not Plasma. I did uninstall everything and don't want black websites, bricked blacked text editors, artifacts in every menu. Remove it and provide stock Plasma. T H I S    I S    N O T    KDE   A N Y M O R E.

Reply #3
Everything is bricked on black. Black shit all over. Pease provide me with Plasma Desktop. This is not Plasma. I did uninstall everything and don't want black websites, bricked blacked text editors, artifacts in every menu. Remove it and provide stock Plasma. T H I S    I S    N O T    KDE   A N Y M O R E.
Use base. Be polite. Don't get banned.

Reply #5
All websites in Falkon are dark and hard to read. Weired gray bars in all KDE apps menu are particular annoying, so is broken Kate and Kwrite (both black box bricked) and websites that do not display properly and cannot be changed to what their creator intended. ... everwhere is black, text is unreadable, themes are broken, and text editors Kate and Kwrite give me just a black brick box inside them.

Hello everybody,

my first install of Artix today, my first steps with Arch Linux and also my first post here  - so please show some mercy with me  ;)

I downloaded the "artix-plasma-runit-20200713-x86_64" from the weekly images to install Artix on my PC (complete new installation, no exisiting home, no existing or previous config-files). I really like the Breeze-theme & and icons but as soon as I switched Artix to use them, I quickly ran into the same issues as the topic creator. It really looked messed up, black parts everywhere, huge separators in the menus).  Falkon displayed most websites with black backgrounds and black text on a black background is not always easy to read...  ;)

Please click here to see a screenshot: Screenshot Breeze-theme

Applying the settings in systemsettings over and over again, several logouts did not make any difference. Every Qt5 and KDE/Plasma application was hardly usable. Interestingly every GTK2/GTK3 based software looked fine and as it should be. No issues at all with them. The solution was quite simple because /etc/environment showed the following configuration:

Code: [Select]
QT_STYLE_OVERRIDE=gtk2
QT_QPA_PLATFORMTHEME=gtk

The gtk2/gtk caused all the issues with the breeze-theme. Edit /etc/environment, a simple "'#" does the trick, log out, log in and breeze will look as perfect and polished as you expect it to look. 

Reply #6
Hello everybody,

my first install of Artix today, my first steps with Arch Linux and also my first post here  - so please show some mercy with me  ;)
Welcome!

Applying the settings in systemsettings over and over again, several logouts did not make any difference. Every Qt5 and KDE/Plasma application was hardly usable. Interestingly every GTK2/GTK3 based software looked fine and as it should be. No issues at all with them. The solution was quite simple because /etc/environment showed the following configuration:

QT_STYLE_OVERRIDE=gtk2
QT_QPA_PLATFORMTHEME=gtk

The gtk2/gtk caused all the issues with the breeze-theme. Edit /etc/environment, a simple "'#" does the trick, log out, log in and breeze will look as perfect and polished as you expect it to look. 
The selected theme MUST have support for Gtk2, Gtk3 and Qt, otherwise it will appear broken, due to the /etc/environment settings, which are in place for ensuring uniform Gtk-Qt look. Known compliant themes are Adwaita, Breeze, Kvantum and Artix-dark.
I've repeatedly tested clean our Plasma in a clean installation and switching to breeze light works as intended. I look into it again.

Reply #7
Hello there

and thank you for your time and feedback!

I've repeatedly tested clean our Plasma in a clean installation and switching to breeze light works as intended. I look into it again.

I did a clean installation too, but from the weekly plasma "artix-plasma-runit-20200713-x86_64". I booted from the iso a minute ago and that is definitely the /etc/enviroment it comes with:

"QT_STYLE_OVERRIDE=gtk2
QT_QPA_PLATFORMTHEME=gtk
QTWEBENGINE_CHROMIUM_FLAGS="-blink-settings=darkModeEnabled=true -enable-features=OverlayScrollbar,OverlayScrollbarFlashAfterAnyScrollUpdate,OverlayScrollbarFlashWhenMouseEnter"

The gtk/gtk2-setting via platformtheme messed up Breeze in KDE Plasma very badly (and I'm quite sure in shouldn't be there in a KDE-environment). Maybe it was a just an issue with the weekly isos that doesn't exist with the base-installer...