Skip to main content
Topic: Problem 7D2D A19 Native no longer works in Artix (Read 1312 times) previous topic - next topic

Problem 7D2D A19 Native no longer works in Artix

Gday
I am about a week into using Artix Linux
Over the last 6-8 months Ive been using MX Linux 19.1

Hardware Specs:
CPU - Ryzen 3500X
GPU - Asrock RX 580 8gb
RAM - 2400 8gb RAM
OS - 250 gig NVME

ISO:  - artix-xfce-runit-20200622-x86_64.iso

Torchlight 2 (native) and 7D2D A19 wont load
both will attempt to launch
both will attempt to cache vulkan shader patch's
then fail and return back to steam

- Insurgency (native) works, after I have to type in a STRING (launch options) :-
LD_PRELOAD='/usr/$LIB/libstdc++.so.6:/usr/$LIB/libgcc_s.so.1:/usr/$LIB/libxcb.so.1:/usr/$LIB/libgpg-error.so' %command%
( I tired that with TL2 + 7D2D without luck)

* 0MD2 runs (proton)
* Alien Swarm Reactive drop runs (proton)
* Iron snout runs
* Nation red runs (proton)
* Son of a witch runs (Native)

I have uninstalled
pulse audio

Reason:
Its shithouse
and B - it causes issues with Mumble while Browser is playing media and some encoded videos on censortube and bitchute have noise issues

Note:
My sound card is Presonus Audiobox USB, it allows me to use an XLR microphone, high quality headphones and Yamaha HS8 monitor speakers (plugs/connectors dont work on standard onboard, including the mic that needs XLR Phamtom power)

Also
Pulse + Audiobox works on software volume mixer
Alsa only + audiobox does not work on software volume mixer
- yes ive installed alsa command line programs

Issues
* 1 . OBS does not support recording MIC input in ALSA
* 2. Simple screen recorder records MIC input on ALSA
* 3. but does not record ALSA desktop/game sound (eg iron snout)

Ive even checked out an OBS port/fork in the AUR, but it didnt add alsa mic support

Coming back to the game if I choose
7D2D with PROTON, game works and loads
but i lose the save game which i was hosting a coop game with 6 friends

TL2 also works with PROTON, same situation, no save game that ive been doing coop with friends

Ive talked to the helpfull people on IRC in
#archlinux
and #artix

No one can find soloutions

I could try the other init solutions but it may or may not solve the issues
and would be 2 days without a gaming system reinstalling/reconfiging/re setting up again

Any help would be great
I would rather not go back to MX linux 19.x or systemD+pulse if I can avoid it

Thanks in advance

Ive recorded a small video to show it failing with simple screen recorder
its 30meg compressed,  i uploaded it to bitchute - https://www.bitchute.com/video/mTg7NU0oEj1o/

Regards
Charliebrownau
gab.com/charliebrownau
minds.com/charliebrownau
https://www.bitchute.com/channel/charliebrownau/

Re: Problem 7D2D A19 Native no longer works in Artix

Reply #1
We are not interested in pulseaudio wars, no need to write a thousand reasons why not pulseaudio and why alsa  ;D  8)

You have written a lot, but some essential informations is missing...

What for steam use you - have you installed steam-native-runtime (https://www.archlinux.org/packages/multilib/x86_64/steam-native-runtime/) or you use runtime, which is delivered by steam?  (this cause in archlinux some problems everytime, so i use for steam this steam-native-runtime only)

Steam have logs too. Find them and look, there will definitely be some information (mostly missing library or similar). You can start some games in terminal directly too and look for more info in teminal.

With installed pulseaudio works the games? did you test it?

Reply #2
Gday Thanks for the fast response
I wanted to give all the info I could provide for a better answer

I didnt want to start an actual debate on pulse, but ironiclly this is the distro that removed SYSTEMD
and the SAME PERSON that made SYSTEM D also did PULSE

I typed :-
sudo pacman -S  steam-native-runtime

Looks like its downloading a truckload of lib32 and sdl files

Reply #3
Looks like its downloading a truckload of lib32 and sdl files

yes, because steam is still for 32bit apps, so for running 32bits games (still some studios produces 32bits  games only, yeah ) you still need lib32 . proton is by valve featured WINE, again for playing 32bits games. and steam delivered runtime is full of static builded i586 libraries too... so that's normal  ;)

but as i wrote, for me works steam-native-runtime much more better as runtime by valve

Reply #4
I didnt want to start an actual debate on pulse, but ironiclly this is the distro that removed SYSTEMD
and the SAME PERSON that made SYSTEM D also did PULSE
This is the earliest reference to that I found, incidentally, at that time it looked like people would be forced to use systemd as support for other inits would be deleted:
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-992146.html

Of course in fairness said person has also contributed to numerous projects including the kernel  ;D I'm only using Alsa but not using the things you are having problems with. You could try searching the repos and AUR to install extra Alsa (or Steam) related packages and see if any help, as a guess. For wine you have to enable some extra repos in /etc/pacman.conf, you could check that if you haven't already.

Reply #5
This is the earliest reference to that I found, incidentally, at that time it looked like people would be forced to use systemd as support for other inits would be deleted:
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-992146.html

Of course in fairness said person has also contributed to numerous projects including the kernel  ;D I'm only using Alsa but not using the things you are having problems with. You could try searching the repos and AUR to install extra Alsa (or Steam) related packages and see if any help, as a guess. For wine you have to enable some extra repos in /etc/pacman.conf, you could check that if you haven't already.
but it is not at all certain that this is caused by the absence of pulseaudio  ;) (steam works without systemd without mistakes) the problem with loading can be anywhere else...

Reply #7
" Steam have logs too. Find them and look, "

Anyone know where steam + artix/arch stores the steam logs
any program/tool to suss them out ?

Reply #8
I think a good start would be to start looking in the steam folder ;-)

Code: [Select]
~/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/common/mygame
/tmp/dump/
~/.steam/
Engage your brain and find the answer to it on the Internet, or rather back to Windows, where it will definitely be a special program for that
the last one was a little sarcasm, sorry 8)

or, as i wrote above, run your game from terminal. start steam before, go to ~/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/common/mygame an run game from here in terminal. mostly it write some info to terminal

Reply #9
Loading it from command line offered an error, great idea ....

Looks like someone else had the same issue on ARTIX
https://old.reddit.com/r/linux_gaming/comments/hu2wor/steam_wont_open/

Apprently it needs 32bit graphic cards for his case

=======================================

error I got :-

sh 7DaysToDie.sh

(7dLauncher.x86_64:10915): Gtk-WARNING **: 20:02:17.620: Unable to locate theme engine in module_path: "murrine",

(7dLauncher.x86_64:10915): Gtk-WARNING **: 20:02:17.620: Unable to locate theme engine in module_path: "murrine",

(7dLauncher.x86_64:10915): Gtk-WARNING **: 20:02:17.623: Unable to locate theme engine in module_path: "murrine",

(7dLauncher.x86_64:10915): Gtk-WARNING **: 20:02:17.623: Unable to locate theme engine in module_path: "murrine",

charliebrownau@charliebrownau:/run/media/charliebrownau/b364ab2f-db8f-4ebf-bcc1-f07fc8453cc1/Games/Steam/steamapps/common/7 Days To Die
$ Found path: /run/media/charliebrownau/b364ab2f-db8f-4ebf-bcc1-f07fc8453cc1/Games/Steam/steamapps/common/7 Days To Die/7DaysToDie.x86_64

Reply #10
Loading it from command line offered an error, great idea ....

Looks like someone else had the same issue on ARTIX
https://old.reddit.com/r/linux_gaming/comments/hu2wor/steam_wont_open/

Apprently it needs 32bit graphic cards for his case

=======================================

error I got :-

sh 7DaysToDie.sh

charliebrownau@charliebrownau:/run/media/charliebrownau/b364ab2f-db8f-4ebf-bcc1-f07fc8453cc1/Games/Steam/steamapps/common/7 Days To Die
$ Found path: /run/media/charliebrownau/b364ab2f-db8f-4ebf-bcc1-f07fc8453cc1/Games/Steam/steamapps/common/7 Days To Die/7DaysToDie.x86_64

you got no error, just some gtk theme warning... so look another  paths above

Reply #11
I reinstalled Pulse Audio

sudo pacman -S pulseaudio

Rebooted

7D2D now loads

Does that mean I need to contact 7D2D team and ask them to support ALSA ?

* Update :-
LibreWolf no longer plays youtube or bitchute now on videos
when pulse is installed

* Update
Gets better 7D2d loads but has no sound,gg
Pulse audio is the best thing since slice bread!

Reply #13
Get better (worse)

With pulse, it refuses to use duplex mode

Either sound works in 7D2D
or Mumble
not both

Browsers stuff up,mumble stuffs up if you play videos in the background

I had to remove Pulse to get sound working correctly with the Audiobox

Seems like the root issue is 7D2D + FMOD only work in PULSE because "REASONS"