Skip to main content
Topic solved
This topic has been marked as solved and requires no further attention.
Topic: [SOLVED] Which Mirrorlist do I use? (Read 4342 times) previous topic - next topic

[SOLVED] Which Mirrorlist do I use?

Hi everyone. I've just installed Artix for the first time and am wanting to run an update to get the most recent versions of all of my installed software.  As the mirrorlist is out of date, I'm first trying to update it, but I've found a list (so far) in three different locations:

https://gitea.artixlinux.org/artixlinux/packages/src/branch/master/artix-mirrorlist/x86_64/core/mirrorlist
https://gitea.artixlinux.org/artixlinux/packages/src/branch/master/artix-mirrorlist/trunk/mirrorlist
https://gitea.artixlinux.org/packagesA/artix-mirrorlist/src/branch/master/trunk/mirrorlist

They all three seem to be the same list, so I'm wondering if one of them is recommended over the others?

Re: Which Mirrorlist do I use?

Reply #1
They all refer to the same package
ARMtix

Reply #2
mirrorlist is not outdated, maybe some mirrors can be outdated. Just select a best up-to-date mirror for you... ;)

read archlinux wiki about mirror, you will find there more info about rankmirror and how to use.

Reply #3
Artix has 2 rankmirrors "scripts"
rankmirrors-artix and rankmirrors-arch
by default renkmirrors is symlink to rankmirrors-artix

Reply #4
Thanks everyone for the info!  I've got it updated now.

alium, I had looked at the 'mirrorlist' file that was originally installed, and in the top description it read:
##
## Artix Linux repository mirrorlist
## Generated on 2020-02-12
##

In the 'mirrorlist' file online, it said that it was 'Generated on 2020-06-14'
I didn't know how many of those from the previous list would still be online or up to date, so I was just wanting to get the most up to date list.

SGOrava, thanks for the script-commands that you gave me.  Previously when I was using Arch, I had always used the 'Reflector' command, which would automatically update the mirrorlist and THEN rank them; but I didn't know if the 2 scripts would update the lists first, or if they would just rank the mirrors that were currently on my computer.  So I used the 'curl' command to get the list from online and then used the 'rankmirrors' command that you gave me.

Again, thanks for all of the help!

Reply #5
Generated on 2020-02-12
Yes, that original file from iso, after update your system will update this file too (pacman - Syu).

Select best mirror for you is another thing...
... good that you solved your problem

Reply #6
rankmirrors should be standard Archlinux script.
We had to make few changes to fit it into Artix (Our repositories have different names).
That is why we have -arch and -artix variant.

Reply #7
Thanks alium, I hadn't even thought of that... as I said, I was trying to get the latest mirrorlist BEFORE I ran the 'pacman -Syu' command... classic 'Catch-22' I guess, "Using pacman command to get the latest mirrorlist, but needing the latest mirrorlist to get the quickest download from Pacman".  lol    :D

Also, you had said "Select best mirror for you is another thing..."  Should I go into the 'mirrorlist' file and do that manually myself, or should I let the 'rankmirrors-artix' command do that for me?

Reply #8
SGOrava... To get the Arch Repos I installed the 'reflector' command onto my Artix machine, but used:
reflector --verbose --country 'United States' -l 20 -f 5 --sort rate --save /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist-arch
instead of saving it as just '/etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist'
To get the latest Artix mirrorlist, I used:
curl https://gitea.artixlinux.org/packagesA/artix-mirrorlist/raw/branch/master/trunk/mirrorlist -o /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist
Is this correct, saving the Artix mirrorlist as just 'mirrorlist', or should I have saved IT as 'mirrorlist-artix' ?

Reply #9
saving the Artix mirrorlist as just 'mirrorlist', or should I have saved IT as 'mirrorlist-artix' ?
Yes, artix mirrorlist is just mirrorlist.
If you are not sure check /etc/pacman.conf to see what mirrorlist is used for which repositories.
you will see something like
for Artix:
Code: [Select]
[system]
Include = /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist

for Arch
Code: [Select]
[extra]
Include = /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist-arch

Reply #10
Thanks SGOrava... you read my mind.  That was the next question I had, about how it knew which Repos to search through for a specific package; whether 'Core', 'Extra', 'System', etc.

Thanks everyone for all the requested info.  Have a great weekend!