Skip to main content
Topic: No PS/2 keyboard support? (Read 759 times) previous topic - next topic

No PS/2 keyboard support?

I was using my Steelseries G6v2 keyboard with the USB to PS/2 on Arch Linux for about a decade with no issues. Now, with Artix Linux and s6, even after installation, my keyboard doesn’t work. When I’m at the login screen, and press a key, my keyboard lights will turn on and off after each keystroke. This is also a new computer as well, maybe my PS/2 port is bad? The keyboard worked fine in the installation menu using the arrow keys, but after booting s6 is when it happens.

Re: No PS/2 keyboard support?

Reply #1
Interesting. When you were installing, what iso were you using? Was it also an s6 iso?

Reply #2
I tried the latest base s6, runit, and even the latest Arch iso and they all didn’t work. They only worked at the installation menu before you launch the live environment.

Maybe I spilled beer on it lolol. I’ll have to buy a new one to find out. If it’s still wacky with a new one, I’ll be out of ideas. I’ll go look in my BIOS for anything.

Reply #3
My new USB to PS/2 adapter came in the mail today. Even with a brand new adapter, my keyboard doesn’t work in s6. It didn’t work with the Arch live usb either, so maybe it’s my motherboard.

Reply #4
If it works in other distros and the installation environment it doesn't sound like a hardware problem. xset led on / off toggles (some) backlights, but according to reviews that keyboard doesn't have any. It should work if you plug it directly into a USB socket without the adapter - does that help? Any error messages in syslog / Xorg.log?

Reply #5
It works fine when using USB thankfully. I changed a bunch of BIOS settings last night and that didn’t help either. This is a new computer I’m installing on, so it might be my motherboard. It worked fine on my older desktop I had Arch on.

One thing I thought of is UEFI vs legacy BIOS. My older machine was naturally legacy, being from 2009, but this new machine I got is very modern, being an i7 7700. I also was able to get two of these machines for cheap, so I could do some NVIDIA vs AMD (Xorg vs Wayland) testing.

I went with UEFI with this installation, so that might be it. Although i highly doubt it since my keyboard works in UEFI before boot, as I can go to the boot menu pressing F2 while using the adapter.

Reply #6
I don't know exactly, but the install env is usually quite basic, so it could be too dumb to fail. If it's new hardware the support may not have reached the kernel yet. Drivers can be assigned by a list of HW they are used with, and there are fall back options. You could try searching Linux keyboard problems and your mobo / chipset etc and see if there are any kernel commandline options or module black listing possiblities.

Reply #7
I updated my BIOS and still no go. It worked on my old machine from 2009. Very odd. It must be a Dell motherboard issue, it also doesn’t support XMP DDR4 memory profiles, so I can’t use the 3200MHz my memory is designed to run at. The motherboard keeps my RAM at 2133MHz and I can’t change it. Dell is such trash.