Skip to main content
Topic: can 66serv run on artix? (Read 1041 times) previous topic - next topic

can 66serv run on artix?

i came from obarun, which is great with the help of 66services. BUT, it seems that i am feeling lonely of not able to run run some of the apps that relies on libsystemd (aka transmission-daemon).

else, ill probably just use openrc or even stay with void for its runit.

Re: can 66serv run on artix?

Reply #1
you can try to install (if you dont have already) elogind which provides libsystemd minimal hacky library.

Reply #2
Systemd replacement is made by Skarnet's S6 supervision suite as init and by Obarun's own 66 service management. S6 and 66 is the heart of Obarun, it is what makes it unique and special from all other linux systems.

artix have own services, so you should use they: pacman -S service-which-i-need-s6
maybe we have not all 66, but you found few here too...

why you not use our s6 service for transmission?
Code: [Select]
pacman -S transmission-s6

Reply #3
I am not privy to the details of 66, but from my understanding, it is a set of wrapper tools around s6/s6-rc/s6-linux-init. In Artix, the implementation is just straight up s6/s6-rc/s6-linux-init with some pacman hooks/scripts. These differing approaches are probably not very compatible with each other. If you're just looking to run some s6 scripts, we have plenty of those. Is there is a problem with the transmission-s6 package?

See the s6 wiki entry for more details.

Reply #4
ok just tested s6 and its kinda a mess when i compare to obarun

for 1. xorg freezes as soon as desktop comes up. i have to specify xorg to run with as root by creating an /etc/X11/Xwrapper.conf and set needs_root_rightrs = yes
2. openntpd keeps showing logs to console, overlapping login prompt
3 speaking of login prompt, it does not even show up untill you press <enter> after s6 init
4. samba does not work at all. dunno where the logs are being created on that thing.

Reply #5
I can't answer the others but have you tried installing elogind-s6 and starting elogind?

Reply #6
ok just tested s6 and its kinda a mess when i compare to obarun

for 1. xorg freezes as soon as desktop comes up. i have to specify xorg to run with as root by creating an /etc/X11/Xwrapper.conf and set needs_root_rightrs = yes
2. openntpd keeps showing logs to console, overlapping login prompt
3 speaking of login prompt, it does not even show up untill you press <enter> after s6 init
4. samba does not work at all. dunno where the logs are being created on that thing.

1. You should not run xorg as root. You should use elogind. This is the default and expected behavior. If you really want to run xorg as root, of course extra configuration is required (has nothing to do with s6).
2. That's expected. By default, output from s6 services are redirected to getty 1 (/dev/console to be more exact). Logging output can be redirected to various log directories and that is in place for many services (most of the system ones have this; I think most of the world ones are like this like now), but not everything.
3. By default, more verbose s6-rc output is shown on the same console so things will overlap. You can simply lower the verbosity in the startup script (/etc/s6/current/scripts/runlevel) if you do not want to see it.
4. You have to create a conf file for samba. See the arch wiki entry for more details.

Reply #7
1. You should not run xorg as root. You should use elogind. This is the default and expected behavior. If you really want to run xorg as root, of course extra configuration is required (has nothing to do with s6).
2. That's expected. By default, output from s6 services are redirected to getty 1 (/dev/console to be more exact). Logging output can be redirected to various log directories and that is in place for many services (most of the system ones have this; I think most of the world ones are like this like now), but not everything.
3. By default, more verbose s6-rc output is shown on the same console so things will overlap. You can simply lower the verbosity in the startup script (/etc/s6/current/scripts/runlevel) if you do not want to see it.
4. You have to create a conf file for samba. See the arch wiki entry for more details.

1. elogind already installed and running
2. default config sucks then and expects one will use a login manager
3. ditto above
4. samba config already created. samba shares works fine when smbd and nmbd -F -S are started manually.

Reply #8
The xorg thing must be some kind of configuration issue in that case. Perhaps some xorg packages are missing on your end? What driver are you using?

It's better to show some logs than no logs at all. You can always switch to another getty if need be.

Are you really starting samba correctly? The script is just "exec smbd -F -S". It should be s6-rc -u change smbd.

Reply #9
The xorg thing must be some kind of configuration issue in that case. Perhaps some xorg packages are missing on your end? What driver are you using?

It's better to show some logs than no logs at all. You can always switch to another getty if need be.

Are you really starting samba correctly? The script is just "exec smbd -F -S". It should be s6-rc -u change smbd.

yeah just ive said, a config mess that is why my initial post is regarding if anyone has been able to run 66serv with s6. 66serv can start trees (or bundles in this case) after another root tree has successfully run separating services in groups, can also create separate user trees.

ill just probably go with openrc if i stay with artix long term. for not its just my "wants" and not the need to run some systemd services(aka transmission-daemon) that prompted me to try out artix non-systemd options.