Skip to main content
Topic solved
This topic has been marked as solved and requires no further attention.
Topic: [SOLVED] Timers on runit (Read 1883 times) previous topic - next topic

[SOLVED] Timers on runit

Hello guys, recently i go to runit and i am trying to create a service which related with systemd timers.target. Which tool can i use to complete my service?

Re: Timers on runit

Reply #1
AFAIK, timers is a flashy reinvention of the wheel by systemd in its way to absorb more and more standard UNIX tools functionality into itself. This means, you only need a crond implementation and the appropriate -runit service for it. Unless you were asking something else I didn't understand.

Reply #2
Hello guys, recently i go to runit and i am trying to create a service which related with systemd timers.target. Which tool can i use to complete my service?

@nous is correct.

But, besides cronjobs, you may would like to use snooze which is more or less like timers from AUR

Please note, that we are not supporting AUR packages, so for any further info/question/trouble, make an issue at the project's page.

Reply #4
snooze looks...interesting.  And it appeals on a level  with my own projects (Since I "do" runit...).  The problem is, unless you're using runit or s6 in some capacity I can't see how you'd use it.  OpenRC's not really...supervision.

Reply #5
OpenRC does have supervision, just not enabled by default. For an example, see /etc/init.d/mariadb-supervise from mariadb-openrc.

Reply #7
Darn, we should import snooze into our repos, yesterday.

Ah I know who is the dev of that; he is a maintainer/dev at Voidlinux. He wrote/writes other stuff and they worked well

Reply #9
What @MadScientist42 mentioned is correct.

OpenRC does not offer processes supervising the way that Runit or s6 do, Runit and s6 supervisors all processes straight forward, versus OpenRC where the supervisor is still experimental

Reply #10
Snooze has been added in community (galaxy) repo.

I am closing this issue.