Skip to main content
Topic solved
This topic has been marked as solved and requires no further attention.
Topic: Mouse wheel is slow(SOLVED) (Read 3752 times) previous topic - next topic

Mouse wheel is slow(SOLVED)

I use xfce desktop. How do I increase the wheel speed? And, the mouse button doesn't work like in windows, I think this thing is called as AUTOSCROLL, you click then when you move it down, you go down at page. That thing doesn't work for me. I checked at google but mostly very old topics. Don't know if they work. My mouse is everese rampage dlm-500.

UPDATE 15 SEPTEMBER: Now it worked since I created .imwheelrc TEXT FILE not FOLDER! And with 100 its too fast lol haha never do it. Damn arch wiki sometimes can't understand it.

BUT NOW, autoscroll? How do you enable autoscroll at all times?
And inside it for example is like that:

# Speed up scrolling for the discord
"^discord$"
    None, Up, Button4, 20
    None, Down, Button5, 20

It worked for me. You add apps individually obviously.

Re: Mouse wheel is slow, and wheel button doesn't work

Reply #1
Try normal mouse, if all works normally with normal/another mouse, your problem will be in your gaming mouse. without special settings or driver will probably useful only in Windows.

Reply #2
Try normal mouse, if all works normally with normal/another mouse, your problem will be in your gaming mouse. without special settings or driver will probably useful only in Windows.
Oh yeah, that might be it! I got artix installed on my laptop too, and it uses a normal mouse and it's way faster! I would never thought of that! Thanks a lot!

But can we do the wheel button thing? I miss that.

Reply #4

UPDATE 15 SEPTEMBER: Now it worked since I created .imwheelrc TEXT FILE not FOLDER! And with 100 its too fast lol haha never do it. Damn arch wiki sometimes can't understand it.

I did. But in wiki it says, you edit the ~/.imwheelrc FOLDER. It's a FOLDER how do you edit it? It creates automatically. In arch wiki it says you edit this wtf???

for example, discord.conf, or conf.conf, or what? I checked the wiki, for example I need to create some file (discord.conf) like this for configuring discord for example? : /home/xxx/.imwheelrc/discord.conf

# Speed up scrolling for the discord
"^discord$"
    None, Up, Button4, 4
    None, Down, Button5, 4

I did this but still very slow. I made it 100 instead of 4, nothing changes?

Reply #5
Wiki can also be outdated or it can only contain some interesting information.
Tou should still consult manual pages for the details.
Code: [Select]
man imwheel

Reply #6
If you can, buy a usb mouse, be simpler.  I have a usb gaming mouse with 24 buttons and wheel and I don’t have to configure it

Reply #7
If you can, buy a usb mouse, be simpler.  I have a usb gaming mouse with 24 buttons and wheel and I don’t have to configure it
Yeah but how to make autoscroll work in every program now? It's just so useful.

Re: Mouse wheel is slow(SOLVED THIS), wheel button and autoscroll?(NOT SOLVED YET)

Reply #8

That I am unsure as I personally found it annoying :)

Re: Mouse wheel is slow(SOLVED THIS), wheel button and autoscroll?(NOT SOLVED YET)

Reply #9

I am pretty sure there is no way to universally do this on linux. It just depends on if the program supports this kind of functionality (like firefox for example).

Reply #10
Autoscroll.
When I use mouse with broken wheel I configure it to emulate wheel when the button is pressed and I move the mouse.

Reply #11
I think you mean you want middle button scroll, when you click the middle button it scrolls down a page. This is mostly set up for copy / paste although if you hold the middle button and move the mouse it will scroll, and you can press space to scroll down a page in the browser. These methods don't work in all apps. The main default way is probably to press the Page Up / Page down buttons. The up / down arrow buttons often scroll if focus is in the right place. Gnome desktop has a setting to disable the middle button copy / paste, XFCE seems to lack this as a GUI setting.
There are some suggestions around how to do this, don't know if they work.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Ubuntu/comments/7uaxgx/any_way_to_get_autoscroll_on_ubuntu/
https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/472398/can-i-make-middle-mouse-scrolling-on-linux-behave-more-like-autoscrolling-on-win
Checking the spec of your mouse it has 8 buttons - why not leave the middle click as it is and map an unused button to Page Down? You could use another button for Page Up too. Possibly this would be even easier than trying to reconfigure the middle button.

Reply #12
I think you mean you want middle button scroll, when you click the middle button it scrolls down a page. This is mostly set up for copy / paste although if you hold the middle button and move the mouse it will scroll, and you can press space to scroll down a page in the browser. These methods don't work in all apps. The main default way is probably to press the Page Up / Page down buttons. The up / down arrow buttons often scroll if focus is in the right place. Gnome desktop has a setting to disable the middle button copy / paste, XFCE seems to lack this as a GUI setting.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Ubuntu/comments/7uaxgx/any_way_to_get_autoscroll_on_ubuntu/
https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/472398/can-i-make-middle-mouse-scrolling-on-linux-behave-more-like-autoscrolling-on-win
Checking the spec of your mouse it has 8 buttons - why not leave the middle click as it is and map an unused button to Page Down? You could use another button for Page Up too. Possibly this would be even easier than trying to reconfigure the middle button.
So it's xfce problem then? Then I am off to xfce forums make some hassle then  8)   :D

Reply #13
autoscroll is depends on program, which you use, not on DE.