Skip to main content
Topic: Why did I come here? (Read 1741 times) previous topic - next topic

Why did I come here?

Because I thought Artix had something to do with the artic where I spent a portion of my life, also because I don't like what systemd is writing on the wall.  I do have some doubts however,  did I bite off more than I can chew? I'm just a brain-stem user, the other day I tried to spear a fly on the monitor with the mouse arrow and then wondered how come I had missed.    
Who, has loved us more?

Re: Why did I come here?

Reply #2
Because I thought Artix had something to do with the artic where I spent a portion of my life, also because I don't like what systemd is writing on the wall.  I do have some doubts however,  did I bite off more than I can chew? I'm just a brain-stem user, the other day I tried to spear a fly on the monitor with the mouse arrow and then wondered how come I had missed.    

Artix or the systemd jungle? :D

I'm not a computer expert and not particularly good at remembering all kinds of command lines, but for the past two years I have been doing fine with Artix XFCE open-rc.

Reply #3
Artix or the systemd jungle? :D

I'm not a computer expert and not particularly good at remembering all kinds of command lines, but for the past two years I have been doing fine with Artix XFCE open-rc.

My question mark isn't so much about ArtiX as about my own state of utter spoiledness.  It's coming to an end though, here I am using ArtiX that I didn't even know existed a month ago and were it not for my zero tolerance for anything even smelling like a monopoly I still wouldn't be here.

I tried to jazz things up for myself by installing a different non-systemd distro to boot every day of the week, that didn't work out but I do have a total of 5, let's say for every workday in the week even though two of them are Suse with systemd.

1 - Slackware
2 - Devuan
3 - Leap
4 - Artix
5 - Tumbleweed

The hard part is forcing myself to use one I'm not so familiar with, and running into the little tweaking details like setting up different accounts and dealing with 'differences'. For one I could not use the password I wanted on this forum, I mean c'mon, if there is one thing that should be unconstrained it's gotta be a password!   Anyway, one bite at a time, said the ant   ...next time I'll just copy over my thunderbird folder and see if that works without any further dots and dashes :)

--
Artificial-Stupidity will never be competitive. 

Who, has loved us more?

Reply #4
My question mark isn't so much about ArtiX as about my own state of utter spoiledness.  It's coming to an end though, here I am using ArtiX that I didn't even know existed a month ago and were it not for my zero tolerance for anything even smelling like a monopoly I still wouldn't be here.
If we want free software to thrive, we must choose our distributions wisely, as well as software.

I tried to jazz things up for myself by installing a different non-systemd distro to boot every day of the week, that didn't work out but I do have a total of 5, let's say for every workday in the week even though two of them are Suse with systemd.

1 - Slackware
2 - Devuan
3 - Leap
4 - Artix
5 - Tumbleweed
Slackware is arguably a good distro, but it seems painful to configure.
Devuan should one day replace Debian!

The hard part is forcing myself to use one I'm not so familiar with, and running into the little tweaking details like setting up different accounts and dealing with 'differences'. For one I could not use the password I wanted on this forum, I mean c'mon, if there is one thing that should be unconstrained it's gotta be a password!   Anyway, one bite at a time, said the ant   ...next time I'll just copy over my thunderbird folder and see if that works without any further dots and dashes :)
We appreciate the system that we master well :)
No problem to recover the Thunderbird profile folder by copy / paste in Artix.

Artificial-Stupidity will never be competitive. 
Well seen  ;D

Reply #5
No problem to recover the Thunderbird profile folder by copy / paste in Artix.
Well seen  ;D

About folder transplanting (before I bugger off and try to post from the actual Artix installation).  I copied the entire user folder over and by the time I tried to log in the new users were there to chose from. Thing is, the users had not been created yet and I had forgotten that little detail so couldn't really log in. I did end up creating the new user ....but maybe there's work to be done in that department.  

Who, has loved us more?

Reply #6
If the .thunderbird folder was originally in /home/user, it shouldn't be a problem to put it back on the actual installed Artix.

Reply #7
If the .thunderbird folder was originally in /home/user, it shouldn't be a problem to put it back on the actual installed Artix.

There were several different issues involved:

- I copy pasted in the folder from ANOTHER (Suse) installation
- the user home was thus migrated but the user didn't yet exist
- nonetheless the non-existing user showed up in the login dialog (problem?)
- once i created the user all went well, EXCEPT that the T-bird
  folder contained a profile suited for a much newer version.
 (This is a PITA problem plaguing mozilla products nowadays).
- I am NOT prepared to go through the hoops and loops of
  setting up an account again, there must other equal or better
  gui usenet readers out there :)

--
Hope is the darkest hour of the night, just before sunrise.

Who, has loved us more?

Reply #8
Bonjour,

Ah yes, in the new system you must first create a user account with the same name as the old one.
Indeed, if the versions of Thunderbird differ, this can cause a problem  :(