Skip to main content
Topic solved
This topic has been marked as solved and requires no further attention.
Topic: using AUR in artix (Read 20723 times) previous topic - next topic

using AUR in artix

Hey everyone. I'm planning a switch to artix from arch. I was just wondering how day to day life was with finding and installing packages? Are there big name programs that cant yet work? I would assume that finding and install from the AUR is the same process?

Thanks!

Re: using AUR in artix

Reply #1
Artix is Arch systemd-free. The devs have taken great care to ensure our beloved users won't miss anything and that's the purpose of our own repos.
Incidentally, this need for dedicated repos (and the amount of packages they contain) proves just how malignant systemd is.
The AUR, of course, works fine.

Reply #2
Thanks @nous!

Reply #3
But, things in the AUR that depend on systemd will not work properly, and will need some tweaking on your part.

Reply #4
I would change the "will not work properly" with "may not work properly" as some that do require it do work with all the available dummy substitutes.  I may be wrong, and if I am the clarification will help me as well.

Reply #5
You are technically correct, but when I said "things in the AUR that depend on systemd", I meant those that will break without it. I did not mean those with just a 'dependency' in the PKGBUILD.

Reply #6
Forgive me.. old OLD thread, but I was doing a search on "AUR" in here and this one came up.  I am still wondering what is attractive about AUR for Aritx users. 

As said here, the Artix devs are hard at work ridding systemd from everything.. why should we bother with having to mess with ("tweak") apps and programs from a repo riddled with systemd?  What's in there that we need? 

Noob here..

~ hagg

Reply #7
there are still many programs (packages) that are not in the community / extra / core, so you need an AUR to build them.  8)

Reply #8
Have you saw what things are available in AUR?

Here I have a short list of things available in AUR:
- Programs which do not have active maintainer (in other words did not make it to main repos)
- Programs which were kicked from main repos (no maintainer or not desired...)
- Older version of programs
  - The older version of libraries useful for compatibility but useless for current releases of Arch
- Newer / Development /experimental version of program
- Packages which are made from specific branches or forks (customized or patched)
- Things which people made to make their life easier

So you want to throw everything away just because people contributing are using systemd?
Please wake up! It is good to know what you want but please learn to use the fruits of others labour.

Reply #10
Have you saw what things are available in AUR?

Here I have a short list of things available in AUR:
- Programs which do not have active maintainer (in other words did not make it to main repos)
- Programs which were kicked from main repos (no maintainer or not desired...)
- Older version of programs
  - The older version of libraries useful for compatibility but useless for current releases of Arch
- Newer / Development /experimental version of program
- Packages which are made from specific branches or forks (customized or patched)
- Things which people made to make their life easier

So you want to throw everything away just because people contributing are using systemd?
Please wake up! It is good to know what you want but please learn to use the fruits of others labour.

That was a very nice, well informed read.. until I got to those last two sentences.. "..so you want to throw everything away.." and ".. wake up.."

Wow.  No.. I do not want to throw anything away (except now perhaps my Artix forums link).  The "wake up" nonsense is over the top disrespect for a supporter of this Artix distro.

I've seen this before, at other forums, where the old timers or admins are not nice to new users.  They get called out for it.. but most often they just drive people away.  I do not know why some linux distro forum admins and other staff become haughty and unwelcoming, making strange accusations and pretending like new users are somehow not "awake."

Other non systemd distros (and BSD) beckons.

Good bye.

~ hagg

Reply #11
That was a very nice, well informed read.. until I got to those last two sentences.. "..so you want to throw everything away.." and ".. wake up.."

Wow.  No.. I do not want to throw anything away (except now perhaps my Artix forums link).  The "wake up" nonsense is over the top disrespect for a supporter of this Artix distro.

I've seen this before, at other forums, where the old timers or admins are not nice to new users.  They get called out for it.. but most often they just drive people away.  I do not know why some linux distro forum admins and other staff become haughty and unwelcoming, making strange accusations and pretending like new users are somehow not "awake."

Other non systemd distros (and BSD) beckons.

Good bye.

~ hagg

SO i unknowingly pissed few of Artix users.

My thought at the tiime were: Hey do not throw away the free labour they are offering, it is a lot of work to keep Artix running, so each free labour like that is very welcomed.
I did not want to insult anyone.

Reply #12
maybe should new users not begin with the question like "why should we bother with having to mess with ("tweak") apps and programs from a repo riddled with systemd?  What's in there that we need? " if they want be nice welcomed... 🤔🤔 🤔😅😂😂

I fool have been using Linux for over 20 years, and I always thought that because of what it is (programs), not because of some people ....
... but time is probably changed ... and people want contact and a warm welcome, celebration and a warm word, otherwise they will not use the system ....
I don't know, we found a girlfriend and we didn't pull relationships and politics to use the OS.

Reply #13
maybe should new users not begin with the question like "why should we bother with having to mess with ("tweak") apps and programs from a repo riddled with systemd?  What's in there that we need? " if they want be nice welcomed... 🤔🤔 🤔😅😂😂

I fool have been using Linux for over 20 years, and I always thought that because of what it is (programs), not because of some people ....
... but time is probably changed ... and people want contact and a warm welcome, celebration and a warm word, otherwise they will not use the system ....
I don't know, we found a girlfriend and we didn't pull relationships and politics to use the OS.

I have also been using linux for about 20 years or so, and have seen it develop into a very usable, stable, secure option to the proprietary operating systems that propose to offer the user what they want and what they need. I have used quite a few distros, and have seen some of them come and go along the way. What I really appreciate and admire about open source linux operating systems is the wide variety of choice that it offers to the user. One is not obligated to use this or that and can pick and choose from the many offerings that are available. I have always tried not to piss off others, or become pissed off myself in the process. There are so many options....surely we should be able to disagree on things and not become disagreeable in the process? We have these many options because of the freely offered time and effort of others. I for one am thankful for that fact. No one is under any obligation to use one or another linux os. I have used many over the years. I have been using Artix since it was Manjaro-OpenRC, and it has been an interesting journey thus far.
My point is this....with all the options available, any reasonable individual should be able to find something that works for them, without pissing off, or getting pissed off.  ;)

Best regards.
We should try to be kind to everyone.....we are all fighting some sort of battle.

Reply #14
but a lot has changed in those 20 years ... unfortunately mostly  for the worse ...
people's thinking has changed ... often humility and gratitude became a "right to something" or the duty of others to help, the hatred against something, etc.

personally i have "nothing" against systemd as a program. It bothers me that it goes against the unix / kiss principle and was forcibly pushed into distros without choice and becomes a colossus like windows (the same I think about flatpack things, etc.) - but I've never understood the often hatred against Poettering (author of systemd), or as in this thread again AUR just because it contains things that have systemd dependencies ...

it is a clear misunderstanding of what an AUR is (author evidently never read wiki entry about AUR). And when someone point out  a person about it, person  is offended and leaves (typical of millennians and leftists) ...
20 years ago, no one cuddled with you like we do today. mostly you got the answer: RTFM and it was done. It was hard, but it taught you so much more than serving ready-made solutions to users who don't even know the basics of Linux /Archlinux.