Skip to main content
Topic solved
This topic has been marked as solved and requires no further attention.
Topic: [SOLVED] Gnome 36 -> 38 cannot drag windows to other workspaces. (Read 619 times) previous topic - next topic

[SOLVED] Gnome 36 -> 38 cannot drag windows to other workspaces.

Hey Everyone,

Using Gnome 36 I could use the top-left corner / activities function to show all windows and then drag one to another desktop using the right hand workspaces widgtet in the activities desktop screen. After upgrading to 38 it's broken. If I use the show-all windows function and start to drag the window then gnome-shell flashes quickly and I'm back in the normal window view. There is also a behaviour possibly related to a full screen window that crashes gnome-shell and leaves me with "Oops ..." please restart gnome-shell.

I'm thinking it has to do with the scale animation that happens when I drag the window, it scales the window to fit in the smaller workspace view.

Nothing of note was upgraded at the same time and no reconfig on my part (like display drivers).

message.log output at the time,

Oct 13 13:30:15 gnome-session-binary[18974]: WARNING: Application 'org.gnome.Shell.desktop' killed by signal 5
Oct 13 13:30:15 gnome-session-binary[18974]: GnomeDesktop-WARNING: Error fetching user unit for own pid: 3
Oct 13 13:30:16 dbus-daemon[2039]: [system] Activating service name='org.freedesktop.GeoClue2' requested by ':1.614' (uid=1000 pid=24291 comm="/usr/bin/gnome-shell ") (using servicehelper)
Oct 13 13:30:16 dbus-daemon[2039]: [system] Successfully activated service 'org.freedesktop.GeoClue2'
Oct 13 13:30:16 NetworkManager[2463]: <info>  [1602610216.8326] agent-manager: agent[78b334f9072a0129,:1.614/org.gnome.Shell.NetworkAgent/1000]: agent registered

Anyone have tips?

-J

Re: Gnome 36 -> 38 cannot drag windows to other workspaces.

Reply #1
Hi, just tested on my laptop the above mentioned procedure:

It is working properly.

Check settings with Activities Configurator (Tweaks) and Workspace settings.

Reply #2
Hey Linuxer,

Thx for the reply. In this case, I upgraded to 38 and restarted without changing settings in between. I'm also using nvidia drivers so it defaults to xorg (vs. your wayland). gnome-tweaks didn't really have much and I went through dconf-editor and reset anything remotely possible. Still no luck.

Is there a way to start gnome-shell with a higher level of logging so I can see if a module / addon is interfering?

Reply #3
Eating my hat here.

In case others stumble on this, using the dconf ui didn't work, but the atomic option using terminal,

Code: [Select]
$> dconf reset -f / 

did work.

Reply #4
Hi,

Check your /var/log/gdm/ for any possible logs.

btw, are you using gdm?

If not,  I would suggest to shift.