Skip to main content
Topic: Step by Step Tutorial: How to install Artix with Openbox and i3 (Read 10896 times) previous topic - next topic

Step by Step Tutorial: How to install Artix with Openbox and i3

I have written a detailed tutorial on installing Artix with Openbox and  i3. Because I could not find any Artix Forum then I have posted it at the Antergos Forum. Here would be the better place for it. Unfortunately the depressive black graveyard design of this webpage and forum is quite a strain for the eyes. Therefore posting a long and detailed tutorial over here does not make any sense.
Why did the Jedi turn to the dark side?

If you are interested in my tutorial, please go to the Antergos forum:
https://forum.antergos.com/topic/7737/antergos-openrc-openbox-i3-based-on-artix-a-step-by-step-tutorial

To to those who are disgusted by the terrible and almost unreadable startup screen of the Artix-isos. Don't let it turn you off. Artix is much better than it looks like. Its functionality is really good. And with little efforts you can even make it look nice, light and friendly.

Re: Step by Step Tutorial: How to install Artix with Openbox and i3

Reply #2
No, I don't like dark themes but the other devs wanted a dark one.

Reply #4
Another yes for dark

Reply #5
Like the dark theme, but other options would be nice as well. GNU/Linux and especially init-free minded folks like options. Right?

Reply #6
FYI, you can choose to use a light theme at My Account -> Look and Layout -> Current Theme - Change Theme.

Reply #8
UPDATE: There are 7 themes now. Much better, thank you. May I suggest an option with an adjustable colors?

A black and 6 white themes go into a bar...

Reply #9
I like dark themes but black and bright is a bit irritating still.  I use openbox and without downloading 1GB of themes the only functional one I use is Atwaita-Dark.  The problem is that colors within the theme can only be customized through LXDE and what creates a functionality problem is that mozilla stuff on some non-funky pages the comment boxes are black with black letters.  So you have to copy and paste stuff on those boxes (like simple forms to fill) which is crappy.  If you block system colors and customize mozilla you end up either downloading stupid themes or white with black letters.

This is not specific to artix though, this is lxde/openbox crap you face everywhere.  You get wonderful small packages and have to download GB of theme/icon stuff to make them functional and dark.

My favorite bgrnd is dark hazy blue green with text that is a hint of yellow/orange off of white.  I can read and write all day.

The other advantage with dark themes it keeps a big screen cooler during the day.  The brighter it gets the more energy the higher the heat.  Plus if you like working in the dark too there is less contrast with the surroundings.  Like a Faraday basement under the barn ;)

Peace!

Reply #10
Thank you for this thread, I was really struggling to read the forum with the default theme and wasn't aware it could be changed. I have now changed it!

Reply #11
Just out of curiousity:

1)  Why openbox along with i3? Isn't i3 enough?
2) Why pcmanfm and not spacefm (i know that's about the sex of angels, eventually, but, frankly, i was used to use long time pcmanfm but since a while i substituted it by spacefm and i find it way better, now ... )?

PS. It would be nice if there were (is?) a good and working instruction how to transfer - hopefully completely - an existing i3 manjaro installation. I like that one a lot and would only prefer a more coherent and less intrusive daemon management ...

Reply #12
@ fairnet
Openbox is my favorite because of obmenu. i3 already was on the repo, so I have kept it as tilting supplement and in case, that an upgrade might break openbox.
Yes, SpaceFM would be a much better choice, because it does not need the troublesome gvfs. But unfortunately SpaceFM is not included in the Arch repos.

The limited repos are the reason why I do not use Artix (or Arch/Antergos) anymore. I had a hard time to install QGIS, GnuCash and some other stuff from the AUR and have failed to update these packages.
 I use antiX now (SysV – Openbox & i3 & SpaceFM), based on Debian sid with Siduction repos added. So far it has been very stable and I have got competent support in antiX and Siduction forums. All the software that I need is in the repos.That makes it much easier to administrate the system, even though Debian & Apt is less KISS than Arch & Pacman. So I am very pleased by my antiX-Debian-Siduction-hybrid.

Reply #13
....But unfortunately SpaceFM is not included in the Arch repos....

Oops. In the manjaro repos it is ... (that's not so far from arch, i'd presume ;) ).

Reply #14
Oops. In the manjaro repos it is ... (that's not so far from arch, i'd presume ;) ).
SpaceFM was in the Arch repros till it was depreciated, its now in AUR if you don't know this to get a AUR package in the Arch repro It needs to have enough votes that has now gone totally out the door,  thanks to Arch spins using pamac octobi, not registering on AUR and not voting just fucking leeches that's all.