Skip to main content
Topic: Step by Step Tutorial: How to install Artix with Openbox and i3 (Read 10805 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Step by Step Tutorial: How to install Artix with Openbox and i3

Reply #15
PS. It would be nice if there were (is?) a good and working instruction how to transfer - hopefully completely - an existing i3 manjaro installation. I like that one a lot and would only prefer a more coherent and less intrusive daemon management ...

I did the move early from manjaro-OpenRC-i3 to Artix. It was smooth (somehow, nearly perfect) and I still using the same system without need to reinstall. At that time I missed some tools which were defaults in manjaro-i3 (some hooks and bash scripts); after a while I replaced them or transfer them to a personal scripts folder.

P.S. I do not know about the status of manjaro-i3 with systemd. I can not advice you!
Keep it Simple. Simple is Secure, Simple is Beautiful.

Reply #16
What if you briefly make a change in your pacman.conf, put the manjaro reps in the very bottom, # comment out the real arch repositories, make a copy of the manjaro-mirrorlist name it mirrorlist-manjaro in /etc/pacman.d/ update (you probably still have the manjaro keys) get your i3 stuff updated, reverse the pacman.conf damage, you are done :)

Reply #17
not registering on AUR and not voting just fucking leeches that's all.

wait, youre (ideally) supposed to register on aur and vote on things?

Reply #18
wait, youre (ideally) supposed to register on aur and vote on things?

Yeah, there is an AUR pkg that lets you vote on AUR packages.  On yaourt for example it lists how many people have used it and how many people gave a thumbs up.  If you see a package that says 0 (0) then you better scan through the source before you compile it.  Of course most people don't and just because it works they give it a thumbs up.  It is the other extreme of debian where you have to know people to let you submit code for "future" review, and future is relative to who you know.

example:   (look at mpv-git)

Code: [Select]
21 aur/mpv-bash-completion-git 8:3.3.16-1 (15) (0.83)
    Bash completion for the mpv video player
22 aur/mpv-build-git v0.28.0.403.g59a04562b1-1 (26) (3.49)
    Video player based on MPlayer/mplayer2 (uses statically linked ffmpeg). (GIT version)
23 aur/mpv-full 0.28.2-3 (9) (0.93)
    A free, open source, and cross-platform media player (with all possible libs)
24 aur/mpv-full-git 0.28.2.r564.g11289d5238-1 (7) (0.15)
    A free, open source, and cross-platform media player (git version with all possible libs)
25 aur/mpv-git 0.28.0_169_g7eb3427573-1 (183) (3.55)
    Video player based on MPlayer/mplayer2 (git version)
26 aur/mpv-light 0.27.0-2 (Out of Date) (7) (0.00)
    Free, open source, and cross-platform media player – with selection of features.

mpv on debian-buster/devuan-beowulf

mpv/testing,now 0.27.2-1 amd64 [installed]
  video player based on MPlayer/mplayer2

since I mentioned the example in trying to compile mpv-full the pkg requires an older compiler library than the one we have so I had to link the new one

ln -s  /usr/lib/libmpfr.so.6 /usr/lib/libmpfr.so.4
which you should remove after you are done

Reply #19
Greetings,

Since Antergos has been discontinued and the forum along with the post have been taken down, I would request you to share the post here if you do have a copy.
#FreeHongKong

Reply #20
@Anaximenes

Unfortunately the tutorial file is on my PC with a broken mainboard. For me that is too much effort to search for an outdated file. I am sorry.

To get an Openbox desktop I suggest to use Artix-LXDE as a base. It uses Openbox as display manager.
You can find an excellent implementation of Openbox at Archbang. Just copy the '/.config/openbox' from there. If you choose the compact vertical tint2 layout and add the Plank dock, you will get a nice Openbox desktop. The wallpapers are managed by Feh. You may want an automated menu. Use obmenu to add a pipe menu. The command for that is:
/usr/bin/openbox-menu lxde-applications.menu

To my opinion the best ready to go Openbox desktop is on NomadBSD. But its system load is about the same as on the XFCE based FuryBSD. So Openbox is not really light weicht.

Be aware, that configuration tools like obmenu and obkey depend on python2. They will disappear, if Arch completely moves to python3. For this reason my next system will use XFCE instead. It can be configured to look, feel and function like Openbox. XFCE has a similar system load and all the configuration tools are on board allready.
JWM might be an alternative, if you are looking for a very light weight solution (i.e. as in antiX linux).