Skip to main content
Topic solved
This topic has been marked as solved and requires no further attention.
Topic: [SOLVED] Some Python packages are not synchronized (Read 1336 times) previous topic - next topic

[SOLVED] Some Python packages are not synchronized

Some python packages, such as python-pillow and python-docopt are not synchronized wth Arch. This breaks the package ueberzug.

Re: Some Python packages are not synchronized

Reply #1
all python packages have been rebuilded due to the new python 3.9 and are being moved to extra / community. It takes some time. Please do not update your system in the following hours... I have to move over 600+ python's packages

Reply #2
Isn't there a way to stage this kind of update serverside, so that all the new packages only become available once they've all been moved ?

Or save that, is there a mailing list or another channel where we could subscribe in order to be warned no to upgrade during those kind of events ?

Reply #3
Gentlemens, I would like your impatience.  Do you think it takes 5 minutes to move a 600 python package?  There is no other project besides python that has so many packages to rebuild.  In addition, it only happens once a year.  8)   So patience.

No, I don't move to the server manually.  There must be a git record about it, and it's being moved by jenkins.  Build structural is different, more complicated than when you make makepkg - si at home

Archlinux pays CI in github, we have another CI solution.  Cheaper, slower, but fully adequate

Reply #4
Don't worry, I understand, and I don't want to undermine your hard work (thank you so much so much for your work maintaining this awesome distro!)

It's just that right now I'm left with a crippled system after a routine upgrade (maybe I'm too reliant on python software, who knows ^^)

A warning would have been nice.

Once again, I'm grateful for your work

Reply #5
I know, i know, but announce normally nobody read 😂

Sorry for partial update, which broke your system.
Python and all packages from core /extra are moved. Community is moving now
Its happens really once per year  ::)

You can do update again now ,  maybe some your  python packages will be now moved. Ca 65%-75% packages for community should be moved now

Reply #6
This would not normally be a problem, but python 3.9.x packages are not compatible with older python 3.8.x packages, and need all be rebuild. Inclusive all packages from AUR, which need or use python!

Reply #7
This would not normally be a problem, but python 3.9.x packages are not compatible with older python 3.8.x packages, and need all be rebuild. Inclusive all packages from AUR, which need or use python!
I have especially registered now to thank you for your effort.
I wouldn't have known what it takes to maintain the repos and i'm very grateful.
I usually forget, that i'm not on Arch, but on Artix. Thanks for making that possible. :)

cheers

Reply #8
I just updated and rebooted and everything seems fine. However, as expected the Python version update breaks things installed with pip (pip is a python package manager, which operates independently of pacman and the AUR):
Code: [Select]
$ artix-news 
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/local/bin/artix-news", line 6, in <module>
    from artix_news import ArtixNewsParser
ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'artix_news'
https://forum.artixlinux.org/index.php/topic,1229.msg8704.html#msg8704
(pip itself doesn't seem to work at this moment though, but no doubt will in a while  ;D )

Reply #9
done. all python packages moved. thank you for your patience :-)

Reply #10
don't use pip. use extra/community/AUR packages if you can. Pip broke it .... some your packages, which is installed via pip need rebuild.

maybe can help uninstall and install it again...

Reply #11
artix-news is a webscraper to get the latest - well, artix news. It's only available through pip, and was written by an Artix user and announced here on the forum a couple of years ago or so.  It isn't in the AUR or repos. It's just a kind of fun convenience package anyway, you could go to the news page with a browser. But pip itself is a repo package so it's worth using it to test how it works, and perhaps one day someone will come up with a better solution for pip to handle these version updates.

Reply #12
can you put here source of it?

Reply #14
Code: [Select]
pacman -Sy artixnews