Skip to main content
Topic solved
This topic has been marked as solved and requires no further attention.
Topic: OpenRC: How to Transfer Android Files to a Linux Artix in OpenRC init sys (Read 1105 times) previous topic - next topic

OpenRC: How to Transfer Android Files to a Linux Artix in OpenRC init sys

hello

Im still noobs in Artix Linux and OpenRC init system.
So I'm still not familiar with the OpenRC init system and want to learn more about it.
However, I have a problem with Transfer files from Android to PC how do you transfer files from Android to PC?
because I'm not using DE, just use the windows manager bspwm (I'm also still learning).
 I'm using :
- Artix kernel 5.10.4-artix2-1
-Artix with OpenRC init system
-Laptop ASUS TUF FX505DY
-wm = bspwm

All I know is mtp and simple-mtpfs to read android devices, but my Samsung Galaxy smartphone cannot be detected on Linux Artix.

I've tried with
Code: [Select]
$ mtp-detect

libmtp version: 1.1.18
Listing raw device(s)
   No raw devices found.

can you help me?
Thanks.
New in Artix Linux and OpenRC

Re: OpenRC: How to Transfer Android Files to a Linux Artix in OpenRC init sys

Reply #2
if you are going to use gvfs-mtp make sure you have proper dbus session running for your WM.
There also other solutions like simple-mtpfs (AUR) and more if you look carefully.

Reply #3
I was able to access a Fire OS (Android based) tablet, using OpenRC too, with these installed:
$ pacman -Qs mtp
local/android-file-transfer 4.2-1
    Android MTP client with minimalistic UI
local/gmtp 1.3.11-2
    A simple MP3 player client for MTP based devices
local/gvfs-gphoto2 1.46.2-1 (gnome)
    Virtual filesystem implementation for GIO (gphoto2 backend; PTP camera, MTP media player)
local/gvfs-mtp 1.46.2-1 (gnome)
    Virtual filesystem implementation for GIO (MTP backend; Android, media player)
local/libcddb 1.3.2-6
    Library that implements the different protocols (CDDBP, HTTP, SMTP) to access data on a CDDB server (e.g. http://freedb.org).
local/libmtp 1.1.18-1
    Library implementation of the Media Transfer Protocol
local/mtpfs 1.1-4
    A FUSE filesystem that supports reading and writing from any MTP device
Haven't done it recently though, so I can't remember exactly what I did, but it worked then.

Reply #4
its really long time since i was messing with android and linux (cause usually it just works..)

when it does not, start with checking so the computer finds the usb connection, and that the phone is in correct usb mode

start with running "lsusb" in terminal:
stingray@odin:~$ lsusb
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 006 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 005 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 004 Device 003: ID vendorId:productID USB Connected Phone from company X

usually it will list a shitload of stuff i just took a few lines.. it depends on how much usb stuff you got.. but the phone should be there when connected with usb.
usually the problem is in udev configuration, it should pretty much work with any window manager, but i usually use KDE or Enlightenment, so i cant answer for the one you use.

but if you read here: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Media_Transfer_Protocol#gvfs-mtp

and pick only the parts you need (udev) you should be able to get it to find the phone (when its in correct usb mode selected on phone screen i think i got like 3 or 4 modes to choose from on my Samsung, one works with MTP.)

If your device is not showing up in the file manager then #libmtp is missing a native support and is not currently available in the list of the supported devices. If you will try to mount by using command line you may also get an error
Device 0 (VID=XXXX and PID=XXXX) is UNKNOWN.
Please report this VID/PID and the device model to the libmtp development team

The workaround to make it shown in the file manager is to write an udev rule for the device but it is no guaranty that you will be able to mount it with by using MTP connection.

Use ID number that represents by pattern vendorId:productID,e.g. 04b7:88a9, and make an udev rule by creating a configuration file

/etc/udev/rules.d/51-android.rules
SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTR{idVendor}=="04b7", ATTR{idProduct}=="88a9", MODE="0660", GROUP="uucp", ENV{ID_MTP_DEVICE}="1", SYMLINK+="libmtp"

Reload the udev rules.
# udevadm control --reload

this should get you started...
Why did i choose Linux so many years ago?
< - Privacy - Stability - Usability - >