Skip to main content
Topic: displaymanager-openrc retirement (Read 4156 times) previous topic - next topic

displaymanager-openrc retirement

Due to changes in our tools, the displaymanager-openrc package will be retired.
There are replacement packages currently in the gremlins repos.
Each DM has now its own openrc package, which brings openrc's DM setup in line with runit and s6 counterparts.

Re: displaymanager-openrc retirement

Reply #1
Hi! I'm creating an installer for Artix Linux and I would like to know what this means for the installation guide. In the Display Manager section, should we not include "displaymanager-openrc" at all anymore?

Reply #3
Thanks!

Reply #4
Hi all,

One question, I use openrc as init system and KDE as desktop.
I uninstalled the package displaymanager-openrc and installed the package sddm-openrc.
After that I added sddm to openrc at runtime default.
When I uninstalled, I got the info that /etc/conf.d/xdm was saved as xdm.pacsave.

Is it necessary to rename the xdm.pacsave file back to xdm?
The system boots fine like this.

Thanks in advance for your help.

greets
Roberto

Reply #5
No, the service was removed so there is no need for that.
THe config file was saved as *pacsave because it was changed (different from the one provided by the package).

Reply #6
Hi SGOrava,

thanks a lot for your help :)

greets
Roberto

Reply #7
I need a help! I installed sddm-openrc on my notebook,  displaymanager-openrc has been remove (and there isn't a copy available) and now the graphical environment don't start.
What have I to do?

I tried to understand, but is not clear what have I to do.

I use the Plasma environment and sddm.

Thanks' a lot for the help. I'd like not to have to reinstall the environment.

Reply #8
Did you enable the service? If not run
Code: [Select]
rc-update add sddm default
with sudo or as root.

Reply #9
@katinka, thank you! You are right and I don't have to be so stupid to update the system after a hard working days and with the mind completely meshed. All is ok and simply I forget to do the more simple thing. All was clear when I wake up this morning... Solved.

Only a small but very strange note.

I did the same error on 2 notebook and with the one that I use daily I got a strange behavior: after I login in the character environment and I tried to use sudo, to add the service, the system refuse and give me login incorrect. To be able to use sudo I must boot with a usb key, chroot and to reset the root password. Now all is ok, but this behavior was very strange.

Reply #10
Nothing to thank for @francesco and I think these things happen to all of us sometimes.

I have no idea why you couldnĀ“t login and have to use chroot. Maybe not the right keyboard layout in tty?

Reply #11
@francesco, if you have a proble with your system, open new topic, not add new bug to announcements ;)

lock this topic