Skip to main content
Topic solved
This topic has been marked as solved and requires no further attention.
Topic: [SOLVED] Version GLIBC_2.33 not found (Read 52936 times) previous topic - next topic

[SOLVED] Version GLIBC_2.33 not found

After a recent Artix update (I update daily), my system is mostly unusable. Connman (among many other programs, including X) is giving the error:

Code: [Select]
connmanctl: /usr/lib/libc.so.6:  version `GLIBC_2.33' not found (required by /usr/lib/libglib-2.0.so.0)

Anything I can do to fix this besides reinstallation from boot USB?

Re: Version GLIBC_2.33 not found

Reply #2
cd /var/cache/pacman/pkg
sudo pacman -U glib2-2.66.4-2-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst

Reply #3
The current glibc in `system` is 2.32, but it appears that a number of packages have been compiled against 2.33. You can get glibc 2.33 from `gremlins`.

Assuming you have a standard configuration for pacman, you can edit /etc/pacman.conf to include lines like below to enable `gremlins`. Then you can install 2.33

[gremlins]
Include = /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist

After that you can update glibc:

# pacman -S glibc

Reply #4
update dissapeared?

sudo pacman -S glibc
avertisment: glibc-2.32-5 este actualizat

Reply #5
Im running into same/similar issue. I updated the system using pacman -Syu. After the update, none of my programs would work so i made the mistake of rebooting the system. Now the system wont start up and after the ASCII A is displayed, i get an endless loop of...

sys-log-ng: /usr/lib/libc.so.6: version 'GLIBC_2.33' not found (required by /usr/lib/libglib-2.0.so.0)
sddm: /usr/lib/libc.so.6: version 'GLIBC_2.33' not found (required by /usr/lib/libglib-2.0.so.0)

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Reply #6
change tty (alt-fx) and log in

revert to previous version:

cd /var/cache/pacman/pkg
sudo pacman -U glib2-2.66.4-2-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst

Reply #7
Apologies to everyone who was bit by this. A bad version of glib2 that was linked against glibc 2.33 (testing version) was pushed. The offending glib2 package has been removed from the repos. For those that are affected, downgrade your glib2 package as zippy has suggested.

Reply #8
That worked and let me back in......thank you SO much

Reply #9
Id love to downgrade but for some reason I do not have the previous version from which I upgraded (2.66.4-2). I only have the current version (2.66.6-1). I have been awake for a very long time. I'm looking in /var/cache/pacman/pkg/. My brain isnt working, am I in the wrong spot?

Reply #11
Id love to downgrade but for some reason I do not have the previous version from which I upgraded (2.66.4-2). I only have the current version (2.66.6-1). I have been awake for a very long time. I'm looking in /var/cache/pacman/pkg/. My brain isnt working, am I in the wrong spot?

If you resync the mirror (pacman -Sy), you can install glib2 again (pacman -S glib2) which should be at 2.66.4-2 again.

Reply #12
he hasn't network access if restarts nor a terminal opening to issue commands even before restarting... try from tty

Reply #13
hey guys, so ill give a quick update, I've manged to downgrade with the package given by zippy (thanks dude, lifesaver). I wasnt able to do much. I was using i3 and after the upgrade, i3 suddenly started falling apart. When I tried to reload, I got stuck on a black screen and had to cold reboot. When I got back in, networkmanager was not working so while I had a console I couldnt do anything with internet. Maybe there was a way around it but ive been delivering actual, physical packages for like 18 hours so I think its okay that I dont know atm. I managed to transfer the package from another device onto the system and from there the downgrade was smooth.

What a day. I'm gonna go back to watching moomin valley now, thanks for everybody's help.

Reply #14
Another way to downgrade your pacage is:

#pacman -Syyuu

yy - force resync mirrors
uu - force downgrade packages with wrong version