Skip to main content
Topic: Why do systemd users get very angry when you say systemd bad? (Read 2135 times) previous topic - next topic

Why do systemd users get very angry when you say systemd bad?

It has slow boot times. Soo, I am kinda new to linux, I used ubuntu etc. boot times were definitely too slow. In artix its fast. Why don't they wanna accept that? I don't know about desktop though. I am not sure. What do you think about desktop speed though? I suppose it's like %10 faster?

And they protect it like, some kind of political ideology. And they can get very angry when people opposes them. Yet we are calm. It's slow, we simply want it gone. Atleast for us home users.

Since I am not an old linuxer I can't know for sure, maybe systemd was inevitable back then. But I think openrc and runit is just mature enough. I wish I could use ubuntu with openrc, or runit, for more serious jobs. I use artix at home though.

Re: Why do systemd users get very angry when you say systemd bad?

Reply #1
Why do systemd users get very angry when you say systemd bad?
I don't know, ask them.

The matter of speed is a false one. That is not the main problem. The two main problems are that

• systemd is forced upon all "mainstream" distributions of GNU/Linux by RedHat, and
  • systemd is trying to be everything instead of just the init system, breaking with UNIX philosophy

For more details, see here:
https://suckless.org/sucks/systemd/
https://nosystemd.org/

Reply #2
@ironcrystal see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Systemd#Reception

the project was accompanied by controversies and decisions that cursed others with no choice, so it was negatively received, and  it was almost through by force.  The author of the project provoked with his behavior.  I think a lot of negative emotions are aroused by not allowing any equivalents / substitutes to be used in the distribution (which is just too expensive to maintain and peoples), and systemd swallowed ("integrated") many projects . The major distributions simply decided have systemd only. This provoked another negative response and further radicalized the systemd's opponents / supporters.

Both groups are radicalized and angry - as in politics.

Reply #3
I had the opportunity to talk to some red hat guys during a it course taught by them, payed by the company I work at. They told me they are pretty happy using systemd as they had integrations for it for pretty much all their software products.

That's pretty much it, all their customers have to use systemd, and all the devs on the company are making use of systemd (which is on all company systems) and/or rhel tools that depend on systemd.

Personally I think people getting mad at someone that says anything bad about systemd feel like you are attacking what they believe in, which is large Linux based companies like red hat and canonical, they feel you are attacking their favorite distro for following the trend of systemd, which ultimately exists because companies keep investing on it.

Reply #4
Simple. Because they don't know how to see or how to reason beyond what their noses or their little bosses tell them. Greetings.
Free the world from the evil software called systemd.

Reply #5
What is good for huge corporations does not have to be good for end users.

Reply #6
I am not sure about boot timings , on Artix (openrc) , it shutdown/reboot system as fast as possible , on Arch+ systemd sometime system will take so long to shutdown.
Create problems which don't have solution