Skip to main content
Topic: LUKS encrypted removable partition breaks lxqt gui (Read 397 times) previous topic - next topic

LUKS encrypted removable partition breaks lxqt gui

Hello all.

I doubt this has to do with artix, specifically.  Since I'm running artix, though, I'll drop a quick post here before I file a bug report with lxqt.

When attaching a LUKS encrypted removable media, lxqt launches a gui to automatically to mount the device.  Occasionally, this will work, prompting for a uname / password.  Much more frequently, it crashes.

The crash begins with unresponsive window contents.  Attempts to cancel or close are ignored.  Dragging the window will smear it across the desktop.  If one waits, the desktop will eventually be completely covered with goo.  At this point, all funciton is lost.

Sometimes switching to a virtual terminal session and returning will cure it.  Sometimes it won't.

After digging, I find no references to the GUI wrapper within lxqt.  lxqt uses usdisks2 as the backend mounting daemon.  It doesn't use one of the popular GUI interfaces like udevil or udiskie.

I have seen reference to udiskie being wrapped into usdisks2, but this is anecdotal.  No documentation of it on the udisks site.

Here is what I did:

Code: [Select]
~# cat <<EOF >> /etc/udev/rules.d/10-local.rules
>ATTRS{idVendor}==$VENDORid, ATTRS{Serial}==$SN,ATTRS{partition}==$PART, ENC{UDISKS_IGNORE}="1"
>ATTRS{idVendor}==$VENDORid, ATTRS{Serial}==$SN,ATTRS{partition}==$PART, ENC{UDISKS_PRESENTATION_HIDE}="1"
>EOF

This makes udisks ignore my encrypted partition for automount purposes (which I prefer anyway).

The variables can be sourced from your own system by plugging in the device and using:
Code: [Select]
~#udevadm info -a $/path/to/devnode

If you don't already have a a local rules file in the /etc/udev/rules.d directory, you will need to make one.

This doesn't fix the issue, but it will avoid it.

Regards to All.